Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do I downsize my stash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-i-downsize-my-stash-t180463.html)

jaciqltznok 02-24-2012 11:07 AM

for a stash that large, you need to pack lg. flat rate boxes with color ways, (like all pinks) and sell for an average price per yard + postage with tracking and insurance! and stick to your price! NO haggle pricing like car max! selling here will take you years and you will probably lose more than you want to! Craigs list is really good! and NO shipping!

Sheila_H 02-24-2012 11:25 AM

Holy wow! I don't think even my basement is large enough to house that stash, hey I'm trying to build a stash how about trying to sell some of it on here if your wanting to sell the fabric. I was on here buying fabric again today, thank God hubby is going to be on the road for a week I can shop and squirrel it away without him knowing lol

luvstoquilt301 02-24-2012 12:12 PM

A lady in our area---before I was a quilter--rented a hall like the Lions Club on a Saturday. She contacted all the guilds within about a 75 mile radius. Ladies from the guilds came and helped in return for some free fabric. Last 2 hours was a buck a yard and just about all of it was sold. Anything left went to the local thrift store. One day and the problem was gone.

Candela59 02-24-2012 12:51 PM

I'm thinking you could open your own quilt shop...lol! Just kidding. I'm not sure how I would go about downsizing if you can't ship it out. I would think Craig's List would be better than a yard sale though. Good luck with it. :)

harrishs 02-24-2012 02:16 PM

re: downsizing my stash!

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions-----I don't know anything about flat rate ( I have seen the advertisements on TV) and that does sound like a possibility. This is the greatest bunch of people---always willing to help!

luvTooQuilt 02-24-2012 02:26 PM

You sure have A LOT of stash... Ill for one will be on the look out for your 'sale' ....

Marilynsue 02-24-2012 04:32 PM

I would put an ad in the local newspaper for a fabrics sale. I went to one recently and it was wonderful. All fabrics were LQS quality and sold for $4/yd. ex: 3yd/$12, 5 yd/$20. She sold all pieces whole, no cutting. FQ's were $1/ea. Some special fabrics were given special prices. She didn't get rich and we didn't go home poor. Good luck to you.

margoee 02-24-2012 05:08 PM

Please be careful with craigslist.....lots of creepy people, and do you want them in your house?

Bag the stash....different colors for variety, and take it to your local guilt guild, church or nursing home...even some schools might use it. If you really want to make a few bucks, have a fabric yard sale this Spring.

Eliebelle 02-25-2012 01:29 AM

Keep sewing - I'm driving to MN this spring (I hope!) - maybe I'll detour! Good luck!

johans 02-25-2012 03:49 AM

My guild will be doing a "National Quilting Day" event on March 10. We need red, white (prints on white, cream, ecru, etc., that read as white) and blue. We would buy three pieces, up to 3 yards each, of each color of fabric. I'm assuming that your fabric is good quality. Also we'll need 4 yd. pieces for backs. We're doing 'lap size or larger' quilts for service men/women of our county returning from deployment overseas.
PM me with details of what you have in these colors. Any "military prints?"
We're willing to pay $3.50 per yard shipped. I know this is low, but I'm going on faith that the fabric is good.