Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do I fix this? Bock isn't square (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-i-fix-bock-isnt-square-t60542.html)

fryguymoore 08-20-2010 10:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See the picture below...

The problem is that the lower right point is too big, I have it covered with a new white piece so it should look right in the picture except for the pins :(

I can not square this block up unless I replace one of the white pieces. Once I take out the old square, I am afraid I will mess this up trying to put the new square in.

Any tips on how I can make his easier on myself. This block took me all day to make and I really don't want to mess it up.

Sadiemae 08-20-2010 10:52 PM

Gorgeous block!! I haven't done enough of this type to be able to help, but there are many people who will be able to help you.

Aunt Retta 08-20-2010 10:57 PM

Oh man! How desapointing! It is beautiful. I have not done any points yet. I am sure that tomorrow some people will read your post and be able to help you. Sorry that I csn't help.

C.Cal Quilt Girl 08-20-2010 11:38 PM

Can't help but can say it will be Pretty!! Hang in there!:)

mom-6 08-21-2010 03:06 AM

I've never done this before, so take this advice at your own risk! Could you just stitch the piece you have pinned the way you want it, then cut away the piece underneath that is not right?

feline fanatic 08-21-2010 05:04 AM

I'm not sure if this will work but it is worth a shot. It looks like you have a bit of excess fabric so you may be able to take in the seam where the white meets the orange on your too long point. Set you machine to a longer sticth length like a basting stitch. Start out on your existing seam line about where the inner point intersects and slowly increase your seam allowance to try and shorten up that point. Not sure if my written explanation makes sense. I don't know it will work which is why I suggest a long stitch so it is easy to take out. If it does work resew over the basting stitch with your normal stitch length. Beautiful pp block BTW.

eparys 08-21-2010 05:18 AM

The block is beautiful. Is this a single block as an accent block or will it be used in unison with others?

If it is a single block to be used as the accent block in a topper or other such thing – I would be tempted to leave it alone and add a white border around it to square it up.

If you are making more and need them to be alike, I might try to look at the seam that goes from top right to bottom left and see if you can adjust it there. If that is a continuous seam you may be able adjust up to a ¼ inch there.

quilterken 08-21-2010 05:22 AM

You decrease the size of the by 2% or so on the photocopier so the tips don't quite come to the corner when completed. When you make the block leave extra background for squaring up.

mhunt1717 08-21-2010 05:27 AM

Not a clue how to fix, but it's a beautful block!

bearisgray 08-21-2010 06:34 AM

It's a spectacular block and the colors are great.

It also looks like it's laying fairly flat.

If you have enough fabric, I would call this a practice block.

Things that might have caused problems.

Is the original pattern accurate? (Occasionally, they are wrong)

Are you cutting accurately?

Are your seam allowances the same throughout the whole block?

Could it have gotten distorted while pressing.

You mentioned "setting in" the white pieces?

It looks like one could construct large triangles and sew them together and completely avoid any setting in.

From the picture, it does look like that is how you constructed it.