Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how do i help a friend thats miles away to quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-i-help-friend-thats-miles-away-quilt-t83753.html)

illinois 12-19-2010 05:58 AM

Maybe she could join a guild in her area. She would not only learn to quilt but have the companionship and support of quilters in her community.

clipper35 12-19-2010 07:57 AM

I have Skype its really easy to download and it is free, I talk to my girl friend all the time she is a quilter to and we show each other what we are working on and its almost as good a sitting in her livingroom.

GwynR 12-19-2010 08:42 AM

Thank you everyone for the great ideas. I had thought after some time to offer to make her a quilt when she surprised me by asking me to talk her through it. It would be easier for me to just do it, but I believe this may help her through the healing process. She really wants to do it. Rusty quilter, I am sorry for your loss, the idea of doing simple squares is probably very wise. I imagine this is going to be a long healing process for her.

Holice 12-19-2010 08:49 AM

you might have her contact this:

Byrd's Nest Quilt Shop
Byrd's Nest Quilt Shop in Ormond Beach continues to be one of the largest quilt shops in Florida, if not the whole country. Over 5000 bolts of fabrics are ...

www.byrdsnestquiltshop.com/ - Similar

You could find out what classes they have. But you keep in contact with her to get her started.

pjustice63 12-19-2010 09:06 AM

I live in Mt. Dora, Florida but have visited the quilt shop in Ormond Beach many times. With the boards help and maybe going to classes at The Byrd's Nest she should be able to get a good start in quilting. Incidentally, the lady who owns the shop is from Oregon so maybe they could find something in common.
So sorry for her loss. This isn't something that will pass quickly but I find that quilting is great therapy.

catrancher 12-19-2010 09:19 AM

Be sure to talk about her son. When I lost my daughter, nobody mentioned her name. I know they were afraid it would upset me, but I was already upset. I wanted to talk about her. Take your cues from her, but don't avoid talking about him, and use his name when you speak about him. Also, don't forget his birthday. She won't.

quilttiludrop 12-19-2010 09:21 AM

Quilting is great therapy. And the added benefit of friendship and companionship will be good. Blessings to you and your friend!

dkabasketlady 12-19-2010 09:32 AM

I live in Lakeland, Forida and am also in the process of making two memory quilts for a second cousin of my DM'S who lost her husband and youngest daughter within six months of each other. It has been a challenge, but also a healing process for me. I remember both of them wearing most of the clothes and also have pics of them in family photo albums.
I'm so sorry for your friends loss of her son especially at such a young age. Please do suggest that your friend join this board she'll get more help and suggestions.

The pitz 12-19-2010 11:58 AM

Take a weeks vacation and go visit her. You could teach her the basics while you're there. I visit my two friends
in Stuart, Fl. every year for some shop hopping and doing some projects together. It is so wonderful. I cherish the time we spend together sewing.

God bless your friend and may she find peace in the art of quilting a memory of her son.

The pitz 12-19-2010 12:00 PM

Take a weeks vacation and go visit her. You could teach her the basics while you're there. I visit my two friends
in Stuart, Fl. every year for some shop hopping and doing some projects together. It is so wonderful. I cherish the time we spend together sewing.

God bless your friend and may she find peace in the art of quilting a memory of her son.