Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do I keep my fabric from getting stuck? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-i-keep-my-fabric-getting-stuck-t136124.html)

cminor 07-08-2011 12:22 PM

I am doing a ton of half square trianges with my Fons & Porter ruler. LOVE it by the way :)

But because I am chain piecing the ends I put in keep getting caught in the feed dogs. I do lift the foot first - and I don't even put in the side with the sharp point. I don't know what I could be doing wrong. It seems like it is almost better when I go faster but I don't have as much control that way . . any idea's?

Zhillslady 07-08-2011 12:24 PM

do you have a throat plate with a single needle hole. If so change to that if not using now

Sallyflymi 07-08-2011 12:26 PM

Are you sewing separately or are you chaining them together. Most times when you chain them you don't have that problem. I usually start with small piece of fabric to start the chaining.

crafty_linda_b 07-08-2011 12:28 PM

I prefer to just do them as squares a bit larger then cut them apart on the center line and you will end up with 2 HQT. Or if you already have them cut you could lay them on a piece of tissue paper. It will keep the fabric from going down into the needle hole then it will tear right off when you are done. crafty_linda_b

MadQuilter 07-08-2011 12:28 PM

When I sew HSTs, I use the oversized square and chain piece 1/4" off the center line. I alternate the side that goes under the foot. That way I avoid having to deal with the pointy bit.

WIth this ruler, you will always have the point going through and one solution is to get a different needle plate for your machine (assuming it is offered). The single hole will not allow the fabric to be pulled into the feed dogs. HOWEVER you have to be aware that you can't switch to a different stitch - it will bust the needle.

gaigai 07-08-2011 12:29 PM

Change your needle. A dull needle or one with a burr on it will grab the fabric.

charity-crafter 07-08-2011 12:30 PM

I have the exact same problem with triangles. Someone told me to change to a new needle. I haven't tried it yet so don't know if it helps.

How funny. looks like gaigai and I posted at the same time. saying the same thing- Jinx.
:lol:

eastermarie 07-08-2011 12:38 PM

Use the scrap of fabric at the beginning of the chain. Place the needle in the middle of that fabric and sew to the edge. Have your piece ready to be picked up within the next couple of stitches. This way the feed dogs are still feeding the scrap all the way to the back while picking up the new fabric to start. I too was frustrated by this on my machine. I didn't have a single hole plate, just a zig-zag hole. It does eat up the fabric. When you're done with that chain, snip the scrap off and use it to start the next one. You can use it until it is completely full of threads. It's good to have a couple of these handy because they can seem to get away from you.

quiltsRfun 07-08-2011 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by cminor
I am doing a ton of half square trianges with my Fons & Porter ruler. LOVE it by the way :)

But because I am chain piecing the ends I put in keep getting caught in the feed dogs. I do lift the foot first - and I don't even put in the side with the sharp point. I don't know what I could be doing wrong. It seems like it is almost better when I go faster but I don't have as much control that way . . any idea's?

Do you mean you lift the foot each time you add a triangle? I just keep sewing from one to the other without lifting the foot and haven't had any problems.

jljack 07-08-2011 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun

Originally Posted by cminor

Do you mean you lift the foot each time you add a triangle? I just keep sewing from one to the other without lifting the foot and haven't had any problems.

I agree with this. Only sew a couple of stitches to start the new piece, and it will just pull straight through without being sucked down the hole.