Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do I move my stash and stuff? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-i-move-my-stash-stuff-t98290.html)

Bev 02-09-2011 03:33 PM

My DH and I are moving back where we moved from originally because he's retiring. I have about two and a half months to get things sorted and packed up. That would include my quilting studio. It's not in horrible shape because I organized back when we all went on that organizing toot. Remember? However it's not in GREAT shape either. All you ladies who have made moves and survived please help. I need to get rid of some stuff I don't use and won't use in future. What should I do with it? I also need to make sure I can find all my most important quilty items once I'm in my new house. That'll be the first of what I'll unpack. Except of course my sewing machines. Any and all tips will be gratefully accepted. 8-)

sueisallaboutquilts 02-09-2011 03:35 PM

Bev, become a regular here and then you can sell things to us!!! :D:D
Good luck with your move!

QultingaddictUK 02-09-2011 03:42 PM

My Sister laughed at me when I moved just less than 5 years ago but now knows why! I packed; my quilting bits m bobs last, in fact it traveled in my car, and was the first thing to be unpacked ane put in situ first, I know my priorities, and so does my family :twisted:

sewwhat85 02-09-2011 03:42 PM

i moved about a year and a half ago i had a sale invited quilting buddies and sold everything i didn't think i would use. that is before i knew about this site. Would probably sell here now. i used BIG plastic tubs to pack all fabric that was not on bolts. Heavy black plastic bags for fabric on bolts. put everything from each peg board in separate plastic totes same with all the stuff that was on cutting table and sewing table. That way when you open a plastic tote you know that all the stuff in it goes in one place.Be sure to not pack the boxes with books to heavy and good luck. here is a picture of room after unpacking http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-87898-1.htm

ptquilts 02-09-2011 04:00 PM

start collecting copy paper boxes from your local print shop or wherever, they hold a manageable amount of fabric, you can write on the outside, and they stack well.

lovequilts 02-09-2011 04:06 PM

Another suggestion is to buy the plastic storage tubs. You can label them and protect your fabric. they will be all ready for your new location until you can get your sewing area setup.

Bev 02-09-2011 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts

I AM a regular here. I joined when this board first started. I guess I just don't post enough for people to remember me. But thanks for the reminder, I'll start thinking about how to put my sellables on the classified posts here. That's the best way to make sure someone will love them as much as I have. :lol:

bj 02-09-2011 04:31 PM

The only thing I did that I thought saved me time unpacking was putting small things in plastic bags, like smaller rulers, machine feet, bobbins and thread. Then I put them in the boxes with fabrics. Fabrics and accessories went in boxes on the truck. My machine came in the car with me.

Sadiemae 02-09-2011 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bev

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts

I AM a regular here. I joined when this board first started. I guess I just don't post enough for people to remember me. But thanks for the reminder, I'll start thinking about how to put my sellables on the classified posts here. That's the best way to make sure someone will love them as much as I have. :lol:

What she means is that you have to have a certain amount of posts in a certain amount of time so that it says "regular" under your name. It really doesn't have anything to do with when you joined.

ktbb 02-09-2011 05:55 PM

for fabrics you don't need right away at your new place, wrap other items that you pack...saves the cost of packing materials/