Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do I "oversize" my flying geese so I can trim down to exact size?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-i-oversize-my-flying-geese-so-i-can-trim-down-exact-size-t243278.html)

AngelinaMaria 03-15-2014 06:13 PM

How do I "oversize" my flying geese so I can trim down to exact size??

I want to make flying geese using the no-waste method but all the tutorials I have found online give measurements for an exact block and do not indicate that you will be able to trim down so it is precise (I have the bloc loc rulers for flying geese and even their insert doesn't give directions for an oversized block). I can't wait to use the ruler but wasn't able to get to it today.

The directions I found indicate to cut a square that is 1 1/4 inches wider than the finished width of your flying geese and then use 4 squares that are 7/8 inch larger than the finished height of your flying geese. So, if I want to make sure there is enough to trim down, should I increase both of these measurements by 1/4 inch??

Geri B 03-15-2014 07:12 PM

If you want to trim down a block then it is not a no waste design.....I think that method is so you should not have to trim to size. If you follow the instructions it should be correct by itself.....

Lizard 03-15-2014 11:47 PM

My first quilt block I ever made was a flying geese block and the worst advice I ever got was to cut it a little large. Nothing on that quilt lined up, but when I made it again cutting everything exact, wouldn't you know? Perfect.

DOTTYMO 03-16-2014 12:55 AM

If you want to make bigger just add 1/2" to all the measurements you have . But try one first and see if the pattern or making it larger is best. Patterns are usually the best.

leatheflea 03-16-2014 01:09 AM

Eleanor burns method is the only method I know of that trims down. Some waste but not too much.

PaperPrincess 03-16-2014 04:35 AM

I know that Deb Tucker oversizes hers for use with her flying geese ruler. Might be a case where you just get some ugly fabric and experiment, then make sure you record the info for the next time you use the ruler!

zennia 03-16-2014 04:37 AM

I always add 1/2 inch then square the block. Works for me.

ManiacQuilter2 03-16-2014 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea (Post 6628672)
Eleanor burns method is the only method I know of that trims down. Some waste but not too much.

I agree. I have done hundreds of flying geese and they all come out perfect using EB's method. Very little waste in my opinion. The trick for me that when you line up to trim, you have the opportunity to correct any stitching that may just be off the width of a needle.

schoolteacher 03-16-2014 05:21 AM

So is there a place to find out EB's method without buying her books?

indycat32 03-16-2014 05:25 AM

YOu don't need a book, just her flying geese ruler. She has two sizes, available at JoAnns