Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do Quilt University classes work? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-quilt-university-classes-work-t106167.html)

cdufur 03-08-2011 07:05 PM

I've seen some of you mention that you have taken some classes online through quilt university. They have an EQ7 class that I would like to take in May, but I'm not sure how their classes work. Can you work on them at your own pace or do you have to log in at certain times? I teach school, so I would have to do the work in the evening or on weekends. Please fill me in. Thanks in advance for your help!!

tellabella 03-08-2011 07:14 PM

If you go to Quilt University and check out the class it usually tells you how long the class...you have a certain period to access the information..and set times for online chats, if any, etc...I have thought about it myself and when I checked it out this is what I have found...I have taken other courses online and usually this is how it works...

scowlkat 03-09-2011 12:22 AM

I have taken many classes at Quilt University and it is wonderful! Yes, you do have the capability to work on it at your leisure. I have a notebook of printed classwork and notes/instructions. For the price and convenience, you can't beat it!

salmonsweet 03-09-2011 01:04 AM

Yes you can log in at any time over the several weeks the class runs for.

All the class material is downloadable, so you could even just get the material and work through it later. The only thing you lose in that case is the chance to ask questions from the teacher, that's possible only during the four or so weeks of the class. During the class weeks, you can post questions on the class message board at any time (and read other people's questions and their answers, and chitchat with them if you like), and the teacher comes in and answers questions every so often. Some people upload images of their class-related work, although for an EQ class that might not be so interesting.

I did only one class with them (Hawaiian Applique 101) and the printed material was super clear. I've heard good things about their dyeing courses as well, but don't know anyone who's done their EQ.

I still think a good book comes cheaper in the end... But I'm good at self-teaching and don't really need individualised teacher input so much.

Good luck! and let us know how it turns out if you decide to take the class.

cdufur 03-12-2011 06:18 PM

Thanks everyone, I think I will try it out next time the EQ7 class comes around.

tangledthread 03-12-2011 06:53 PM

Hello, I just finished two classes at QU, Machine Quilting with Carol Miller and Going in Circles with Leslie Lacika. Both classes and instructors were knowledgable and amazing to work with. I was hesitant at first, but how nice it was to work at my ow pace on my own time and in the comfort of my home! Go for it! I have EQ6 and I just can't fiquire it out. Let me know how your course goes and I might just sign up for the EQ6 -