Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you approach scrappy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-approach-scrappy-t247157.html)

pegstar 05-22-2014 10:20 AM

I take a flannel back tablecloth, put binder clips across one edge....put the fine nails with no heads up over the top of
sliding closet door frame in my sewing room ....place holes in tops of clips on nails.....when finished with quilt, roll up cloth for next time nails are so small not even noticed....

Quilt Fan 05-22-2014 02:06 PM

Take a picture after the lay out is done. Take one of top half and one of lower half if necessary to see prints. Then put each row or column on a plate or in envelopes labeled. There are other good suggestions. Good luck.

WMUTeach 05-22-2014 02:28 PM

I am all about putting them in a bag or box and just grab and go. It is amazing how often this comes out just beautiful. It can drive you crazy if you are a planner and demand perfection. But it is also good to break out of the old mold.

Debbie C 05-23-2014 02:50 AM

do you have a design wall? That's my solution for laying out any sized quilt. I fashioned one out of of purchased picnic table with flannel on the back. Put it up with the flannel facing out - your fabrics 'stick' to the flannel and when you step back and observe, you'll be able to see where each piece needs to be.

Judi in Ohio 05-23-2014 03:06 AM

A design wall is absolutely a necessity for me. Mine is foam core board and flannel. It slides out of the way or out in the room. I don't know how anyone can work without one. I stand back and admire and spot mistakes before they happen. I once made a paper pieced quilt - still one of my all time favs - and it was scrappy, but the stars in the corner had to be the same when they came together - no way to do that without a design board. Never been without it since.

Judi in Ohio 05-23-2014 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bren (Post 6726513)
You've heard of the 800 lb. gorilla in the room? That's what my scraps are to me! Boxes and crates and bins of scraps. I take them out occasionally to pet and rearrange them and try REALLY hard to envision making a scrappy quilt. Then my OCD takes over and back they go into the closet, under the bed, etc. It's just pitiful. I think I may need an intervention!! I really admire all the beautiful scrappies everyone has posted, but can't seem to make myself "just do it". Thanks for this post and all the wonderful approaches and ideas. Now, back to my sewing room to admire my scraps. Please PRAY for me!!!

Bren,
I really do hurt for you. I cannot imagine not using that wonderful stash.
Why not attempt a complete scrappy to give away to charity? How bout a split nine patch? Where you have a light and dark side - so many ways to put it together. Google split nine patch and see if it appeals to you. You are honestly over thinking the putting together thing. Please try and free yourself - when you do you will sing!!!!

Morag 05-23-2014 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 6725476)
when you have it laid on the floor, try labeling each block by row and column..,,. perhaps the first block in the top row is A1, the first block in the next row could be B1. and so on. then you can move them to your sewing area and your son's floor will be clear. oh, and put each number at the top of the block... that way, you can hold it by that top and have the right orientation of the block

I did a king size Perkioman quilt the same way. Marked the row and each number in the row with masking tape .
Worked great for me!

caspharm 05-23-2014 09:56 AM

One thing I have done is lay out the pieces and move them around until I find what I like, then I take a photo and use that as my guide. That way if I pick up the blocks or pieces and they get jumbled, I have a reference photo to see if I am still following my layout.

purplefiend 05-23-2014 05:25 PM

Willferg,
I lay 2 or 3 rows out on a table or the bed and number each row and block with a piece of masking tape. For example row 1-1,1-2,1-3 etc...
Sharon

Boston1954 05-24-2014 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by athomenow (Post 6725408)
I'm a visual person so I usually lay it out on the floor and do one row at a time. I have been known to stack the pieces and sew from top down on the stack which makes it a little faster. I would do whatever method makes the quilt you want even if it takes a little longer.

I am in the middle of a Braid quilt that I stacked each row and made sure everything looked good a little at a time. That way I did not have to lay it all out on the bed. The dog tends to come in and jump on the bed when I least expect it.