Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how do you buy (and use) fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-buy-use-fabric-t302793.html)

StephanieR 02-05-2019 11:17 AM

I buy for specific projects but sometimes those projects get put aside or I change my mind and use something else or I have more leftover than I thought so a stash gets built. The only fabric I've bought with no project in mind specifically are some bolts I bought from a quilt store that were on clearance. I did only buy the ones I thought would make good backings. Oh, and today I picked up some muslin from Joann since it was 60% off for backs of pillows.

Conchalea 02-05-2019 11:19 AM

In the past I made quilted totes & bought coordinating remnants to make them. I also bought jelly rolls & FQs that appealed to me. Because of that I’ve been able to make some quilts from stash. Lately I’ve only bought for specific needs, such as a new project that caught my eye, or for backing/binding for a quilt in progress. My yarn collection is a “just because!” story, however.

SusieQOH 02-05-2019 02:39 PM

I can honestly say I never buy fabric with a particular quilt in mind. I do it the other way around. I have terrible impulse control when it comes to buying fabric. But I'm a happy camper :)
I rarely save scraps although I do have some of fabrics I really love. I don't toss them though. I give them new homes.

BSKTLOFR-QUILTER 02-05-2019 03:01 PM

I start out with "immediate need" to finish a project. I have totes and totes of fabric sorted by color. Then I have several totes of coordinated quilt fabric with specific pattern all lined up and ready to sew. I am now buying sale fabric to complete those into quilts. I goal is to finish those first.......however, then I slip and see some beautiful fabric I just can't live without. If I find a real good bargain no way am I going to let that slip out of my hands.

grammasharon 02-05-2019 04:29 PM

My buying habits change as my needs and desires change. Have a friend who blesses me with wonderful LQS fabrics then I need to shop to coordinate with it. Then I see that piece I think I really like and purchase only to have to buy more because nothing in my stash works. I promised my daughter and daughters-in-law I’d not leave them this mess to clean up. I need to get busy!

Dolphyngyrl 02-05-2019 04:55 PM

I usually buy for specific project but may not use right away. I have closet 50 kits. Sometimes I will buy because I like but it is rare and I will use those for small projects like bags totes, bowl holders etc.. scraps I just throw in a bag but don't know why I keep I hate scrappy quilts. I never have buyers remorse, my tastes have remained consistent over the last 2 decades

SillySusan 02-05-2019 05:04 PM

When I was the Crafts Lady volunteer at the local thrift shop, I bought tons of fabric, batts, thread, etc. At 50 cents a yard, it was impossible for me to turn down those wonderful fabrics. But since Dec., 2017, I have not bought anything, ... no fabric, thread, batting, ... I only slipped when I bought 3 flat sheets from the thrift shop to make crib sheets. (Two were on special clearance price of $1.50 each and one was a pure accident.) So, I don't fit into either category.

JJBlaine 02-05-2019 05:05 PM

I took a years long hiatus from quilting. Before, I bought a lot of fabrics at bargain prices for stash. I would also decide to make a particular quilt (usually for a class or workshop) and buy everything I needed for the quilt, plus extra in case I decided to make pillowcases or a matching mini. I ended up with a pile of UFOs and a bunch of fabrics that are either hard to match, or that I'm not particularly fond of anymore.

Now, I am quilting much differently. I have realized that I really like making scrappies, so I buy fabric much differently. Last year, I started cutting down my fabrics into the sizes I use the most. There were a few spots I was pretty low on, so I did go buy FQs. Now that I have a nice balance, I only buy yardage when I really need it, like for sashing or a border, and I only buy what I need.

The money I save buy not buying random fabrics for stash is used for buying staples. For example, I bought an entire roll of W&N and a whole bolts of fusible interfacing and plain white flannel when they were 70% off.

Faintly Artistic 02-05-2019 05:06 PM

I don't buy tons of fabrics, usually fat quarters and half yards.bi get in a fabric buying mood a couple of times per year. I buy LQS quality at bargain prices ($4/yard). I may be collecting a color family for a future project, buying for a specific project, or just rounding out stash (neutrals usually). I love to have a ton of different fabrics in my quilts which is why I buy small pieces. My "stash" pretty much fits on 1 bookshelf plus a few larger pieces of yardage bought before I realized I'm quite content with smaller amounts.

zozee 02-05-2019 05:15 PM

Additional paragraph

I’d say 75% of what I buy is for a planned project whether or not the project is immediate. I buy specific fabrics if I’m making a quilt for a specific person . But since I donate most every quilt or pillowcase for kids’ charities, I buy cute fabric for usually under $6/yd.

I will buy pricier fabric if I love it and it’s also for a planned project. I have bought maybe 2% of my stash impulsively so it’s not really a self-control problem. My problem is not using it fast enough.

As for scraps, I tend to use them till I’m tired of the same ones. Then out they go to giveaways here.