Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how do you buy your stash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-buy-your-stash-t102138.html)

hlponyfarm 02-22-2011 03:28 PM

I was wondering if you all gathered your stash from left overs from projects or do you buy stuff cause you like it? Fabric.com sends me daily emails of there sales. I feel like an addict as I have to force myself to delete it. If I dont I spend hours just buying a yard of this and that just cause I like the fabric. I cant possibly be alone in this.....am I???? :lol:

jljack 02-22-2011 03:32 PM

I usually buy stuff because I like it, and usually when I am looking for something else entirely!! :-)

I also cannot resist eBay fabrics....what a selection!! It's dangerous to go on there!! :-)

MaryStoaks 02-22-2011 03:36 PM

I have a huge stash gathered from garage sales, thrift stores, and when I see a super good sale price. I have only paid full price once or twice for something very special. I just organized it and I'm not going to buy any more till I get it down to half of the volume! ( I saw that lady on TV)It took years to get all this fabric and with prices going up I'm in good shape to keep quilting.

hlponyfarm 02-22-2011 03:39 PM

the prices going up has be really worried. so when I see cotton print fabric at 3.95 a yard, how can I resist? I have no plans for the material I buy, but I do like to look at it. LOL at least I will have a variety.

Carrie 02-22-2011 03:43 PM

I usually find something that just calls to me when I'm looking for something else; much like jljack. Buy on sale mostly, very little regular price. I love a bargain!

MadQuilter 02-22-2011 03:44 PM

I have run out of room so I have to stop buying - heavy sigh. Well - unless it is something I need for a project. At that point, of course I buy what matches/fits. When it's just me, I buy what I like (or used to anyway).

buckyfan19 02-22-2011 03:46 PM

I am a bargin shopper. I don't like to pay full price unless it is a super special fabric or I absolutely NEED it to complete a project. My Joanne's fabric in town just moved locations, so they liquidated the old store, I got tons of fabs at 50-90% off the already sale price! I am in the "using" mode right now. My cabinet won't hold anymore.

I know a lot of people really like stashing blenders and patterns that "speak" to them.
My theory: If it feels right, do it. If you feel guilty after you buy it, then maybe its a time to cut back and cut into your stash.

cjomomma 02-22-2011 03:52 PM

I buy fabric when I see something I like but only at tax time. I'm really buying right now because in march the prices are gonna shoot up again.

DogHouseMom 02-22-2011 03:52 PM

When I began quilting a few years ago, I bought what I needed for the project I was working on, and built stash by buying FQ of stuff that looked interesting. These came in handy for small bargello projects I worked on. Just lately, I've been paying attention to the discount my LQS offers for "finish the bolt" and buying stuff (especially batiks) by the yardage (usually about 2 yards). Also been buying both yardage and FQ from folks here on QB!!

DeneK 02-22-2011 03:58 PM

Until recently (last year and half) most of my stash was FQ. I would buy a few at the time that I liked. But as I was approaching retirement, I began to think in yardage. Still most of my stash is from yard sales and thrift shops. Right now I am looking for a bargain on black. I got almost a bolt at Joanne's 50% off but now it is almost gone.