Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you choose coordinating fabrics? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-choose-coordinating-fabrics-t122636.html)

Lisas 05-12-2011 03:09 PM

I have a hard time choosing fabrics for quilts. I'm worried that once I put a quilt together it's going to be terrible looking. I've been looking at fabrics that coordinate in a line so that I know they match. How do you go about choosing coordinating fabrics?

LivelyLady 05-12-2011 03:18 PM

I usually pull colors from my focus fabric

DogHouseMom 05-12-2011 03:19 PM

Honestly, I lay them out on my cutting table (which is large). I can see my table every time I pass the room. Sometimes I'll look at them for a few days in different lights until I'm happy.

Dolphyngyrl 05-12-2011 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady

I agree with this

hobo2000 05-12-2011 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl

Originally Posted by LivelyLady

I agree with this

Me two!

Dina 05-12-2011 04:09 PM

I cross my fingers and just hope they look good when I am finished. Honestly, I am no good at selecting colors. Doesn't keep me from trying though. I also tend to lean towards two or three colored quilts....can't mess up too much that way. :)

Kas 05-12-2011 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Honestly, I lay them out on my cutting table (which is large). I can see my table every time I pass the room. Sometimes I'll look at them for a few days in different lights until I'm happy.

This is so me! And then I rearrange the order I had them out in and wait, think and look for another couple of days! It takes me forever and a day to decide. Sometimes I will take it all to my LQS and ask for opinions. My husband is no help. He just says he likes them all!

Nana2Sew 05-12-2011 04:19 PM

On the selvedge, there are coloured dots with numbers. I match fabric with these colours.

justwannaquilt 05-12-2011 04:35 PM

I have not used this idea however it sounds GREAT....

If you buy a main fabric or if you find a fabric that you just HAVE to use in a quilt take that piece of fabric with you to the local hardware store, or chain store that sells paint. Then go through the paint swatches and find colors that you think will go good. Take them home lay them out then with natural sunlight take a photo of them. I always photograph fabric to make sure they look right together.

Another thing is printed fabrics all have swatch dots on the selvage. These colors are the colors that the fabric were printed with. You can use them to find matching colors!

bearisgray 05-12-2011 04:40 PM

Jinney Beyer had this way of doing colors - she would match exactly the colors in the focus fabric - and then she would add "bridge" colors between each of the matching colors - and then she would use the "bridge" colors.

Actually made for a more interesting quilt than being exactly matchy-matchy. Which is kind of boring in the mid-range colors.