Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you clean batting fuzz out of a cutting mat? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-clean-batting-fuzz-out-cutting-mat-t258341.html)

glassbird 12-16-2014 03:13 PM

How do you clean batting fuzz out of a cutting mat?

I have recently begun cutting batting for a civil war style quilt that I am working on. I am testing different types of batting before deciding on one to use for the whole quilt. Today I tried two different types of polyester batting, and was really surprised by how much stayed behind in the cut lines on the cutting mat!:shock:

I rubbed some away with my fingers, but, wow! Is there a trick for removing that stuff better?

(I am thinking about staying with the all-cotton Warm and Natural just to avoid the mess!)

Thank You!

PaperPrincess 12-16-2014 03:21 PM

I use a white plastic art eraser. there is an actual tool for this. I'm sure someone will post that info.

Up North 12-16-2014 03:23 PM

The nylon kitchen pan scrubbers work too.

glassbird 12-16-2014 03:43 PM

I did try a fabric eraser that I had on hand already, and it did very little. I can look for the white plastic art type of eraser next time I go shopping. I have nylon scrubbers available...do you use them dry? Or would a little cleaner of some sort work with the scrubbie?

Do cutting mats need cleaning periodically anyway? I have only had mine for a few months, so have not really given that any thought.

tessagin 12-16-2014 03:48 PM

use a lint roller and you can use the Mr. Clean eraser. Those microfiber rags are great also.

Tartan 12-16-2014 03:49 PM

You can get the big pink eraser from the $ store and use it to get the fuzzies out. Basically anything with a little grab to it will help to pull the strings out. if I just have a few bits stuck, I moisten my finger tips with saliva ( a little spit never hurt anyone:D)and rub over the spots.

tessagin 12-16-2014 03:51 PM

I wouldn't use any kind of cleaner. You don't really want it to get wet for fear it might warp. Just try the scrubbies dry and the microfiber rags should be good and the Mr Clean (not the fragrant ones).

tessagin 12-16-2014 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7010571)
You can get the big pink eraser from the $ store and use it to get the fuzzies out. Basically anything with a little grab to it will help to pull the strings out. if I just have a few bits stuck, I moisten my finger tips with saliva ( a little spit never hurt anyone:D)and rub over the spots.

And what she said! LOL!!!

Monroe 12-16-2014 04:29 PM

The white fabric erasers work well for me.

Jan in VA 12-16-2014 04:49 PM

Olfa mats = wash them with gentle soap and, yes, water. Use your plastic scrubby if you need a bit of extra oomph.

Why would anyone be afraid of getting their cutting mat wet? It's heat that distorts them, not water.

Jan in VA