Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you cut your borders? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-cut-your-borders-t17543.html)

pittsburgpam 03-11-2009 05:48 PM

That is the worse part for me, for some reason. I seem to have some mental block about putting borders on. I have two quilts ready to put the borders on and it's hard to make myself do it.

I have a 4' long metal straight edge, a builders/carpenters tool, and a very large metal square that I use. I just have a thing with worrying about cutting long strips straight.

The last border I cut I folded the 3 yards in half so it was 1 1/2 yard long, laid it on the floor, and marked the line with the two metal tools. I then slid my 24" mat under the fabric and rotary cut it using the 4' straight edge. When I got to the end of the mat I very carefully slid it further up the line to cut.

How do you do yours?

Maride 03-11-2009 06:24 PM

I am not sure I can picture what you describe.

I cut my borders on the width of the fabric (44 inches), folded in half and piece them together if I need them longer. I never cut anything longer than 24 inches, my longest ruler. I usually avoid directional fabrics for my borders to prevent having to cut on the long side of the fabric. That can make my borders wavy.

Maria

pocoellie 03-11-2009 06:25 PM

Unfortunately, can't help you there. Most of mine are without borders.

littlehud 03-11-2009 06:25 PM

I fold mine, very similar to the way you do it, except I put one more fold than you do. I try to make sure I have folded it exactly right. I usually do not have a problem. I do hate cutting them, too.

Moonpi 03-11-2009 06:40 PM

For big quilts, I rip them lengthwise.

sewnsewer2 03-11-2009 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Maride
I am not sure I can picture what you describe.

I cut my borders on the width of the fabric (44 inches), folded in half and piece them together if I need them longer. I never cut anything longer than 24 inches, my longest ruler. I usually avoid directional fabrics for my borders to prevent having to cut on the long side of the fabric. That can make my borders wavy.

Maria

I do it this way too. I like making the borders tho.

purplemem 03-11-2009 08:52 PM

I love quilts with borders, I love quilting borders, but I DESPISE cutting borders. I CANNOT cut a border without making a curvy thing if I cut more than an 18 inch length. If I fold my fabric more than one fold, here comes the dreaded curvy thing. What am I doing wrong? :evil:

Katrine 03-11-2009 10:09 PM

I do like Maride, cut widths, and join - with a diagonal seam.

tlrnhi 03-11-2009 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
I love quilts with borders, I love quilting borders, but I DESPISE cutting borders. I CANNOT cut a border without making a curvy thing if I cut more than an 18 inch length. If I fold my fabric more than one fold, here comes the dreaded curvy thing. What am I doing wrong? :evil:

MJ...I get the same thing. I've learned to just live with it. Haven't figured out HOW to eliminate that as of yet.

Oh, and ripping? Nope, can't do it. I tried on a few scraps, but the rips came out crooked. SOOO glad it was scrap stuff!

purplemem 03-11-2009 10:37 PM

Whew! What a relief to know an experienced quilter does the same thing! It's ssooooooo good to know I'm not alone :shock: