Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Do you Cut Your Fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-cut-your-fabric-t18541.html)

Lady Crafter 04-04-2009 08:41 AM

This seems like an easy question, but I'm sure we can all learn from everyone's special ways to straighten the fabric, line it up, and what rulers and cutters we use, and why. It may have been discussed before, but its always a learning tool.

While cutting fabrics for the brick swap, I realized my idiosyncrasies. When I'm cutting two strips, I "scratch" at the top strip if they don't quite line up until I get two perfect alignments. I use lines on the rulers to get a square cut, lining up the bottom edge before cutting the side edge. That way I'm assured of a straight cut. I ALWAYS use caution when rolling that cutter, and have yet to cut a finger.

I straighten the fabric before cutting by folding selvage to selvage, holding the fabric up in the air, and moving one side of the fabric until selvages are even. This may mean that one cut end needs to be cut to straighten, but I feel that is a small sacrifice for my precious fabric.

I use a 24" ruler with sandpaper dots on the bottom and a grasp handle on the top. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the June Tailor Creative Cuts. I have the older styles, one each of the 1/2 cut and the 1/4" cut. I wonder what I ever did without them.

My rotary cutter of choice is Fiskars. I just bought a pink one ... my favorite color! I go WAY back in the world of rotary cutters and rulers. My ruler is a Dritz, and I have a very old Dritz rotary cutter which is now used for paper cutting. The lines on the ruler are brown, as is the rotary cutter. I find it difficult to use anything else.

How about you? :D

littlehud 04-04-2009 10:00 AM

I probably cut more than needed but I hate to try to cut too tall of a stack. Afraid I will be off. I used to cut a whole quilt at one time. Now I do one block to see if I will like it.

BellaBoo 04-04-2009 10:56 AM

I use the Go die cut machine for 98% of my cutting. I always dreaded the cutting part and usually messed up several cuts. No matter how hard I tried I got wonky cuts sometimes and the frustration that came with it. I got the Go die cut and I would give up my sewing machine and sew by hand before I'd give it up.

BellaBoo 04-04-2009 10:56 AM

I use the Go die cut machine for 98% of my cutting. I always dreaded the cutting part and usually messed up several cuts. No matter how hard I tried I got wonky cuts sometimes and the frustration that came with it. I got the Go die cut and I would give up my sewing machine and sew by hand before I'd give it up.

sewspecial 04-04-2009 10:58 AM

What is a " Go Die Cut machine"

Sewspecial

BellaBoo 04-04-2009 11:16 AM

http://www.accuquilt.com/

The industrial die cut machines used to cut fabric pattern shapes for clothes, purses, etc, are now available for home use. It started with scrapbook die cuts and quilters soon discovered how great it is for fabric. One company developed the fabric die cut for home and quilt shop use.

sewjoyce 04-04-2009 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo

I've got a "Go" ordered -- demand was so high for them they are back ordered until the end of April.

What dies do you have???? The only extra I bought was the 2 1/2" strip cutter. Have you used this one? What's the die you use the most????

Tippy 04-04-2009 06:32 PM

OK, I'm going to show my um, backwardness.. or something like that ..lol..
I press my fabric, mark whatever is to be cut, add seams, and take my nice sharp shears for strips and one of the many small pairs of scissors to cut the pieces if it's something small or intricate.. told ya I do it all "by hand". I tried rotary cutters when they first came out and just didn't care for them. Although I do have one and a mat..umm....I know it's somewhere around here.

grammo013 04-04-2009 08:08 PM

I am using my studio cutter now. Would not trade it either. Do need to keep getting dies though. They are expensive but they safe me so much time. My hands don't work like they should so this a life saver for me. (Studio same as GO only bigger.)

Linda D MI

BellaBoo 04-04-2009 09:02 PM

I really use the tumbler die a lot. I cut all my bigger scraps into the tumbler shape and I always have enough ready for a fast scrappy quilt.