Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how do you decide what size border? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-decide-what-size-border-t272158.html)

meyert 11-12-2015 04:41 AM

how do you decide what size border?

I am finishing up at quilt top and I want a border.. I just feel like the quilt needs one. The squares were 5" (finish at 4-1/12"). Right now the top is 67 x 87

How do you decide what size border to put on ? Do you just eyeball it? I did use a pattern for this quilt, but the pattern didn't have a border on it.

Please let me know your thoughts

Thank you

ManThreads 11-12-2015 04:56 AM

I was just browsing online recently for the same topic and read somewhere that the overall finished width of the border should never be larger than one block. I believe they recommended that the border should be 1/2 to 2/3 the size of a quilt block.

Now, those dimensions sounded pretty specific to me and I know some quilts would require or look much better with larger borders, but maybe that will give you a starting point to help mock-up the border?

Regards,
Steve

Patched 11-12-2015 05:25 AM

What I like to do is make the first border small, maybe 1 and 1/2 inches, and the next border wider, 4 to 6 inches. My border sizes also depend on what finished size I want the quilt.

DOTTYMO 11-12-2015 05:34 AM

I look at the size of the blocks and make border same size eg 5" block 5" border, or 91/2" block 43/4" border. This idea came from my father and I think it works.

ManiacQuilter2 11-12-2015 05:45 AM

If I don't have a pattern suggestion, I usually put the quilt on the design wall and audition different widths of the border (just fold the fabric). Usually I would use a size of 4.5" to 6.5". Sometimes it helps to take photos with the width written in view. It is what you think looks best that counts. Wish you had posted a photo.

PaperPrincess 11-12-2015 05:46 AM

Basically I eyeball it. I usually do a stop border, from 1/2 to 1", then I hold auditions for the final border by laying out the border fabric and just laying the quilt top on it and moving it around. I think the border width is also determined by the size of the quilt. If you have a queen size quilt with 4" blocks, your border can be larger than 4". And finally I really like to use large prints in borders so sometimes I base the border width on the size of the motif. Gee I guess I'm no help at all!

toverly 11-12-2015 06:54 AM

I'm with Patched. I figure out the size I want the quilt to be and do a smaller inner border and a larger outer border.

susie-susie-susie 11-12-2015 07:53 AM

I don't think there is a hard and fast "rule" for borders. A lot depends on the size of the quilt. I like to make a narrow stop border and then a wider outer border. Remember, No quilt police--it's your quilt and you should do as you please. I have made a wider border when I need the quilt to be larger.
Sue

cjsews 11-12-2015 08:03 AM

Another thing that helps me decide is how wide is my ruler. I have a 3 1/2, 6 and 6 1/2 inch wide rulers. Make it easy when cutting to make my borders one of these widths if possible.

meyert 11-12-2015 08:22 AM

Another thing that helps me decide is how wide is my ruler. I have a 3 1/2, 6 and 6 1/2 inch wide rulers. Make it easy when cutting to make my borders one of these widths if possible.
Amen - good point.

Thanks everyone. I will check out some of these suggestions and "audition" them and see which I like best