Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you feel about entering quilts in to local fairs? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-feel-about-entering-quilts-local-fairs-t202474.html)

Mariah 10-08-2012 05:45 AM

I am entering a quilt or wall hanging this year, for the first time. Our County Fair is about 12 mi. away, and a challenge to get there. But the girls who have entered say it is a lot of fun.
Mariah

Bobbielinks 10-08-2012 05:51 AM

Congrats!!!! Any fair or show is a lot of fun and even more so when a person wins a ribbon for their work. I hope you enter every chance you get and enjoy each and every one of them!!

k9dancer 10-08-2012 06:00 AM

Hey, you had fun and you won a ribbon. Enjoy! Let that lady walk behind the horses in her own parade! :p

Novice.for.now 10-08-2012 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 5566468)
If you want other people to see your work, fine. But the judges know next to nothing about quilting-----------they're chosen for who they are, not what they know. So if you are looking for a fair critique------------don't enter quilts here.

I work in the office that schedules the judges for our tiny county fair. We DO want judges who know something about the items they are judging. If we discover that one of our judges isn't up on their topic - she/he is put on the do-not-call list. Please, enter in your local fair and enjoy any prize you win/earn! The party pooper probably entered once and didn't receive the 'proper' accolades so now it is beneath her. Me, I just love to look and enjoy ALL entries.

AZ Jane 10-08-2012 06:09 AM

I'm sure you have heard the expression "Kiss my Grits"!! Seems like an appropriate response to you fellow Guild member!!! Not everyone has the opportunity or confidence to apply for the "big" shows! You hold your head up high and be PROUD you got that ribbon for your hard work!!!

vivsqt 10-08-2012 06:48 AM

As quilters we need to support our local fairs. I always enjoy looking at all the quilts that were entered. I also won a blue ribbon on a quilt that I entered. Enjoy your blue ribbon and keep entering.

Grace MooreLinker 10-08-2012 06:57 AM

I have never entered one in the fair but sure do enjoy looking at all of those that do make it there. there's always one rain cloud waiting to rain on some one's parade , so don't let yours discourage you and your friend. enjoy

FroggyinTexas 10-08-2012 07:22 AM

I've been working for weeks to finish some quilts to enter in the Grayson County, Texas, fair. I am a basic non-competitor who enters things in the fair so people will know quilting, embroidery, home canning, baking, home garment sewing, photography, folk art, etc.-- mostly for joy and hardly ever for profit--are alive an well in our community. It's just fun to see the "stuff" that other people in the community create and it gives all the rest of us lots of good ideas.
As for judging, back in the days when I kept bees in far West Texas, the bee keepers association wanted to encourage backyard beekeepers and since we didn't have enough members to make much of a showing, several of us entered our honey using the names of our dogs. The dogs' honey won ribbons several times. I'm sure the judges would have been embarrassed had they known they had been flim flammed, but several people who didn't know you could keep bees in your backyard got into it after seeing the large number of entries and after that, we had enough entries to retire our canine beekeepers. I wish people would stop acting as if things that ought to be fun are things that are deadly serious.. froggyintexas

Annaquilts 10-08-2012 07:25 AM

Why is it beneath you? I love fairs and I always look if they have quilts displayed. Don't let her rain on your parade. I think it is the root of having quilts displayed. Don't you think people competed and displayed quilts at fairs before they did at big fancy quilt shows?

raedar63 10-08-2012 07:30 AM

First of all,congratulations to you and your friend. Secondly it is attitudes just like this that is destroying small towns across America!