Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you find out where .... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-find-out-where-t65284.html)

Linda B 09-17-2010 05:23 PM

On another thread on the Main section, someone mentioned making a quilt for the local battered women's shelter. How do you go about finding out where to take a quilt for such a place. I know they try to keep their locations a secret, but what agency would you contact to get the quilt to that destination?

quiltinggirl 09-17-2010 05:29 PM

Our church quilting group made contact with our local police department and they put us in touch with a person who works with these shelters. Through our PD contact, we were also given a list of other groups that would benefit from our love of quilting. One of these groups is our local children's home. It's so rewarding to take quilts to these kids at Christmas and watch their faces light up when they are given something that is theirs to keep!!

GrammaNan 09-17-2010 05:30 PM

You can contact your local law enforcement office, a county welfare office or family services. You can also call the main number to your county listing. You should be able to find someone that can help you. Don't give up, they really need the quilts.

Sadiemae 09-17-2010 05:35 PM

The college in our area has a social service office that would know this kind of info as well as the police departments. The hospital also could probably deliver them. I know the location of the shelter for battered women in our area is not given out for their protection, but any of these agencies could take them and contact someone to pick them up.

littlehud 09-17-2010 05:55 PM

We would do a secret santa for them and the local Social Service office would help us.

Joanie2 09-17-2010 06:19 PM

I don't remember who exactly I contacted to give quilts. I think it was a hotline. I was not allowed to drop off my quilts but was given the name of a woman who met me at the local senior center and she took them. I didn't have any feelings of mistrust that they would go anywhere but where I wanted them to go. They were very appreciative. I also have given quilts (along with my guild as well) to our local shelter.

amma 09-17-2010 07:28 PM

Sometimes they are affiliated with the YWCA
You can also call their hotline, and find out where you can drop off donations:D:D:D

mom-6 09-17-2010 10:42 PM

You might check with one of your local churches. They quite often sponsor such endeavors. I know a few years ago we had a lady speak at a women's retreat to tell us about ways we could help the one she was affiliated with and she gave the name of the church that sponsored as a drop off point.

ckcowl 09-18-2010 01:58 AM

the womens resource center, social services agency, salvation army, ymca/ywca, most churches, the police and fire departments all will accept donation quilts and get them to the people who need them. you could also check with a local guild, they are usually working on community projects.