Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you find the time??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-find-time-t34447.html)

lorli 01-18-2010 11:35 AM

I'm with you, Love2quilt. I work full time too, thats why I have so many UFO's.

Deb watkins 01-18-2010 11:38 AM

I work full time, teach two nights a week and have a grandson who is with me. My sewing time is usually evenings after8:30pm, and when the chores are done on Saturday. On Sunday, everyone knows that after Mass it is my time alone for sewing.

BKinCO 01-18-2010 12:06 PM

I'm a stay at home mom with 3 kids in school...........and my husband travels a lot for work......gives me lots of "free" time......but, of course, it's never enough. I can definitely understand how it would be very hard to find the time if I were working or had little ones at home or hubby was home all the time, or God forbid all THREE :)

betlinsmom 01-18-2010 12:08 PM

My son is grown, but I cook 5 days a week and bake. I teach Sunday School for a class of 2 to 12 kids . I always prepare for 10 and I make quilted wall hangings for SSdecor to change out quarterly. I also make costumes and props for my SS kids to act out the Bible story lessons and I make them some type of bag every quarter (Wild west decor I make them saddle bags) to put all their crafts and treats in. I make all my clothes and I make baby items for 2 charitable organizations plus wherever I find a need. I make most of our Christmas and Birthday gifts and just started school to become a medical transcriptionist because I need more money for sewing and quilting ,SS and crafting!!!! My house is messy but without sewing and quilting I would be VIOLENT sooooooo I just TAKE the time as often as I can. Sleep IS overated and menopause and sleep apnea seem to concur . I often stay up over night to work on the things I love and the world is a safer place for itlol111

Ducky 01-18-2010 12:14 PM

I'm amazed at the incredible quilts that are posted on this board, then even more so when I find out that they were completed in a few days or weeks. I'm not a fast sewer. But, like you, I work full time, come home to do dinner and do whatever needs to be done around the house. Sometimes I just walk into my sewing room, look around, then walk right back out -- other times I get a little bit done. Most of my time on the sewing machine is during the weekend. I'd love nothing better than to retire and be able to devote more time to it.

MNQuilter 01-18-2010 12:25 PM

I feel so much better after reading this post! I am a very slow sewer and I work full time and have two preschool aged kids. If I am in my sewing room, one of them, usually DD, is in there with me. honestly, I've completed a couple of baby quilts, wall hangings and table runners but nothing bigger! I always felt like I was missing something,like why are these women abel to get so much done and I'm not?!?!? Glad I'm not alone on this and I think I just need to keep it in perspective. I also think I need to train DH that cleaning is very low on the priority list. For some reason, he wants to see our house clean :wink: At least he pitches in!

hsquiltingmom 01-18-2010 12:26 PM

I homeschool my children and I also work part time. I usually take a bit of time in the mornings to work on some quilting, maybe 30-45, just to get my mind working. Then we usually focus on school studies in the mornings, since there are two of them and they get individual one on one attention, we can get things done a lot faster. After lunch it is time to do what each of us wants. That is when I usually quilt. I have everyone help prepare meals and help with clean up and then we all have certain chores that we do. Sometimes, if my hubby is working from home in the evenings, I will go down and quilt for a while. I have found, I just have to make time for it, because it is relaxing for me.

SaraSewing 01-18-2010 12:44 PM

How DO I find the time??! I work full time, take call (Hospice patients), active in my church, take time for my honey, and now I have bitten of too many projects: Choco-Rasp swap, boomerange, IRR, plus projects that I'm doing on my own, like baby quilts for friends, grandkids quilts when they turn 5, etc. I just try to make time. The best is when I do laundry, since my sewing room is the other half of the laundry. Also, I find it is relaxing, as many of you have said. Most of all, I LOVE it!!

BellaBoo 01-18-2010 12:53 PM

Working moms do too much an feel guilty if they take time for themselves. I learned to say: do it yourself. When I worked full time no way was I coming home and have the cooking and cleaning to do too. DH either did his equal share to help or he could eat cereal and wear dirty clothes. Or marry a maid. His choice. Once the kids reached 8 years old, they did their own laundry and did all the kitchen clean ups after dinner. Saturdays were errand and house chores which were done by the whole family. Sat night was family night (until teen years) and Sunday every one did what they wanted on their own. It worked great. Now that I don't work full time I get up and decide what I want to do for the day.

momto4 01-18-2010 01:11 PM

I sew while I should be cleaning as well lol. Seriously though, I am blessed to be a SAH mom and I sew while my kids are in school. I am also a part time student but I do most of my studying in the evening after the kids go to sleep. I dont make as many as say... Eddie who every time you blink has a new one. He is amazingly quick and super talented. :D