Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you folks organize your fabrics? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-folks-organize-your-fabrics-t204828.html)

RugosaB 11-04-2012 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by cowgirlquilter (Post 5627902)
I have lots of fun organizing mine

Me too, but around here it's called 'Mom fondling her fabric" and has a link to us not needing to spend money on therapy!

I can't add to the answers for the question, as mine are 'organized' in a such a detailed way that really only benefits me

A few days ago my husband was talking about his pension, the amount can be seen online, and I mentioned HIS pension. He commented that he would give me his pension. Knowing how much he values money, I offered to give him one of my boxes of fabric. In my mind, even trade!

vkasal 11-04-2012 08:09 AM

I'm still trying to figure it out but for now I group the fabrics by color and put them in clear plastic shoe boxes, although I do have 2 boxes just for Christmas fabrics. For fat quarters, I put those in a plastic three drawer organizer I got at Walmart - I have 2 drawers full of just fat quarters. The third drawer is for kits that I have bought that I need to work on. In my other three drawer plastic organizer I have one drawer for panels (I love panels for some reason) and then the last two drawers contain my batting scraps. I also bought a GIANT round tub with thick rope handles that I stash under my cutting table that hold all my fabric scraps. I also have a bag hanging on the back of my sewing chair that I put really small scraps - I use those for stuffing small projects (small ornaments, etc) after I cut them up in to really fine pieces.

fayeberry 11-04-2012 11:25 AM

I admire all the people who are so organized. I have an old dresser with four drawers and most of my fabric is in there helter skelter. I do save very small scraps in a couple of shoe box size plastic boxes. Started trying to cut left over fabric into strips until I decided I am better off not cutting anything until I want to use it. Do have a large clear box for big pieces of leftover batting. And one of those stackable 4 drawer things for thread, scissors, cords, and random stuff.

IAmCatOwned 11-04-2012 11:32 AM

I am using down my horde of fabric. How you organize depends a bit on what you make and what you have. I tend to buy a lot of novelties. Other quilters only buy novelties occasionally, if at all. Keep in mind that fabric on a shelf is subject to light damage - I've ruined some really nice fabric due to that, so now store it all in boxes with an acid free paper liner.

I have 8 boxes sorted by color (red/pink, blue, green/turquoise, yellow, white, purple, brown and black).
I have two boxes each of Asian, Thimbleberries and flannel fabric. I have 2 boxes just of backing fabrics. I also have individual boxes of Christmas/Yule, Halloween, Landscape, Ocean, and a couple of other themes.

I am gradually eliminating boxes. I'm using up the last of the children's fabric in 2 quilts, the green box is nearly empty.

Gladys 11-04-2012 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by JulieR (Post 5627909)
What is this word you say, "organize"...

LOL I have to agree!

Annz 11-04-2012 06:56 PM

I organize by color.

KLTQuilts 11-04-2012 07:50 PM

Please explain to me the ruler fold method - sounds like it would really be a space saver. Thanks!

SandScraps 11-04-2012 11:30 PM

I messed up my perfectly organised stash during the last year. Will need at least a week's leave to sort out and fold all the new additions that just got piled on a shelf and the fat quarters that landed haphazardly in a see-through plastic container that looks like a suitcase with dividers. Usually I sort by colour, but now I'm beginning to think about sorting by type and design series.

Tropical 11-05-2012 12:38 AM

I keep my fabrics in plastic drawers in my sewing room closet or on shelves in my master bedroom linen closet. How I organize my fabrics changes each time I look through them just feast my eyes on the patterns and colors for enjoyment. I love fabric and have told my DH I am a collector as well as a quilter. He is fine with that and always ready to take me shopping for more. Anyway, back to how I organize. Each time I look at them, I find new ways they will go together. It might be by color, theme of prints, projects I want to make, size, or any other way that strikes my fancy while I am enjoying going through them. I have a few that have been together for a few years while I search for just the right fabrics to add to them to make a quilt design that lives in my head. I know someday I will find just the right complimentary fabrics to create my dreamed of quilt. I have a few special fabrics folded over hangers in my sewing room closet so I don't forget to use them in current projects.

I'm sure when you finish reading all of the posts here, you will find a system that works for you. Let us know what you decide on, please. :):):)