Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Do You Get Motivated? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-get-motivated-t312534.html)

Railroadersbrat 09-20-2020 04:47 PM

How Do You Get Motivated?

The spider hunt and Great Purge of 2020 continues...

Working every day for the last three weeks has taken its toll on me and the fiance. We decided this week that it would probably be a safer bet to move furniture outside from whatever room we are working in, let it stay out for the night while we deep clean the room, and then move everything back in (after it's been deep-cleaned outside). This has made us push ourselves probably farther than we should, this weekend we decided to just take a couple of days to rest, recover, and realign, we've tested muscles that haven't been used in quite some time and we're no spring chickens anymore, either.

I am completely whipped, exhausted to the bone and I'm so glad the fiance took it upon himself to just eat when he wants to, so no cooking has taken place this weekend. This is odd for me considering its football season and I'm usually in the kitchen whipping us up some yummy stuff to chow down on when we're watching the games.

With all the free time I had this weekend, you would think I'd be in my quilting corner starting work on my sister's DWR but I can't for the life of me get motivated. I still have the sage fabric to handwash but could have started cutting the pieces out on the muslin, orange and blue but the thought of dragging out the fabric, cutting mat, the templates and rotary cutter is just not getting me excited in the least.

When you get into a situation similar to this, what do you do to get motivated?

Good news is, no more brown recluse...at least so far.

Stitchnripper 09-20-2020 05:39 PM

I just roll with it. I quilt for my own pleasure so if I don’t have mojo I just do something else. When I am in a quilting slump I don’t like to clean my room or go through patterns. Then one day I am happy to go up and do something.

Tartan 09-20-2020 05:44 PM

Just reading your post makes me tired! I would put my feet up , have a nice cup of tea, take a Tylenol and call it a day!

Peckish 09-20-2020 05:59 PM

Apparently we've missed part of the story about a spider??

Honestly, the way it sounds like things have been going for you recently, don't beat yourself up about not feeling motivated. It sounds like you've been super busy and maybe you just need to veg out for a bit. "They" say daydreaming and just spacing out are good for the brain. Do it and don't feel guilty. 😉

bearisgray 09-20-2020 07:32 PM

I think you deserve a break - maybe your bodies (and minds) just want to rest for a bit.

I also think that making all those decisions about what to keep, not to keep, etc. is very tiring.

Railroadersbrat 09-21-2020 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 8419359)
Apparently we've missed part of the story about a spider??

I talked about it during the last VQW, we found a brown recluse crawling across one of our dogs and I just completely flipped out and started deep cleaning, then decided now would be a good time to purge because we just have entirely too much stuff and we're almost positive there are more spiders in the house. We've since found three more recluses, one alive, two dead so we're making progress. We can't bomb successfully until we get the house straightened up and cleaned out.

I took a good, long nap, and now I'm actually motivated to at least cut her blue fabric, maybe more when I get done with that, but there's still a part of me that's just not 100% into it. Bearisgray is right that trying to decide what stays and what goes has been a little stressful, but I am going with the 'if it serves a purpose, it stays. If it hasn't been used in six months, it goes', so it's been an extremely cut-throat approach. We'll be finishing up the master bedroom in the next couple of days and then we move into the kitchen, which I am emphatically not looking forward to but something tells me we're going to find more in there. It's a great time to do it with the holidays on the horizon.

I was just hoping to be really deep into her quilt by now, everything was shaping up perfectly for me to start cutting and sewing it during the last VQW, I actually had it planned, told the fiance to go find something to keep him busy for three days because I didn't want to be disturbed. The spider on my dog and then finding another one just threw that plan out the window and I've actually been depressed about it and then losing motivation has kind of been a gut-punch.

tropit 09-21-2020 06:42 AM

Your post is motivating me. :)

I like to write a list of things to do when organizing. Not too many things, or I become overwhelmed. I pick out some great music and get crackin'.

I think I'll do that today.

craftiladi 09-21-2020 06:49 AM

Railroadersbrat. wrote. I was just hoping to be really deep into her quilt by now, everything was shaping up perfectly for me to start cutting and sewing it during the last VQW, I actually had it planned, told the fiance to go find something to keep him busy for three days because I didn't want to be disturbed. The spider on my dog and then finding another one just threw that plan out the window and I've actually been depressed about it and then losing motivation has kind of been a gut-punch."

You have had a very stressful busy time with all that cleaning & purging. Give yourself a break, Life happens. Its great to plan but you can't plan the results. Re-energize by resting for a bit, the mojo will come back :) Good luck with the rest of your purging, yes its work but oh you will feel so good when it's done :) Thank you for being a good furry baby mom & protecting the dogs :)

Jordan 09-21-2020 06:52 AM

We all need a break once in awhile. I don't get into my sewing room as often as I would like to so when I go in it is very relaxing. I did just finish 2 quilts and took them to my long arm lady and came home and took everything out of the sewing room. I cleaned from top to bottom and organized everything. Now I am ready to sew again. I hope you get your mojo back soon and feel the urge to sew.

MicheleC 09-21-2020 06:53 AM

I’m so sorry to hear about the spider discovery. That would give me the heebie jeebies! When it comes to motivation for sewing and quilting, I agree with the others that you will need time to decompress after your deep cleaning is complete. That is a great deal of work. Don’t be too hard on yourself for not feeling like starting that quilt. After your body and mind have had a chance to recover from this stress, I’m sure you’ll be motivated again. 🙂