Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you handle "bulk" while quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-handle-%22bulk%22-while-quilting-t66606.html)

Millstream Mom 09-24-2010 05:08 PM

I am beginning to hand quilt a queen sized top. I am lap quilting it on a hoop, started in the middle, and rolled up both ends so just the center row is exposed. How in heavens name do you handle the bulk? Are there clips or clamps or something to keep it all rolled up neat and tidy? Do I whip stitch it into a giant batting-burrito? My dogs would LOVE to curl up on it!

:roll:

B. Louise 09-24-2010 05:13 PM

The quilt in my avatar is 103" sq. I quilted it in a hoop. I didn't roll it at all, but I kept it wrapped in a fitted sheet, except when I was working on it. When I was working on it, I laid the bulk of it on a chair beside my recliner. It took me 6 yrs to quilt it. I don't have pets.

GrammaNan 09-24-2010 05:14 PM

There are clips you can buy at your local LQS. When I hand quilt something that large I sit next to a table and lay one side of the bulk on the table. Hope this helps.

thimblebug6000 09-24-2010 05:15 PM

I quilt in a hoop too, and just leave the balance of the quilt on the recliner beside me or if it falls to the floor, our dog enjoys it until I need to readjust the hoop. Sometimes I to get it kind of twisted up....but then that's a good time to sort it out & give the wrist a break.

erstan947 09-24-2010 05:19 PM

I have found that I do best in my office chair and the quilt and hoop on a card table. I have a house full of pets so this also helps to keep them off.

janRN 09-24-2010 05:19 PM

I use my ironing board lowered to just over my lap. I can drape the extra over that. I don't use a hoop.

BellaBoo 09-26-2010 05:28 AM

You could use this method: I doubt I ever go this far because I'm not that serious about my quilting. LOL

http://pieceocake.typepad.com/piece-...-quilting.html

tjradj 09-26-2010 07:19 AM

I like Leah Days' method. See her blog at www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com
She says to make sure your chair/sewing machine is on a table that is against a wall. That way the wall stops the quilt from hanging off the table and dragging. Also have a table the same height to the left of the machine table, also against a wall to take the bulk of the quilt while you're working on it.
Yes this means you are facing into a corner, but it sure works!

QuiltswithConvicts 09-26-2010 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Millstream Mom
I am beginning to hand quilt a queen sized top. I am lap quilting it on a hoop, started in the middle, and rolled up both ends so just the center row is exposed. How in heavens name do you handle the bulk? Are there clips or clamps or something to keep it all rolled up neat and tidy? Do I whip stitch it into a giant batting-burrito? My dogs would LOVE to curl up on it!

:roll:

I save my hand quilting projects for the winter, then I use the quilt as a "throw". Whatever extra is not being quilted keeps me warm. As I need to move the hoop, the bulk shifts. Sometimes, there is a bunch piled up on my right arm as I can't figure out what to do with it while I'm quilting that area.

If, for whatever reason, I need to quilt in the warmer parts of the year, I will sit at the dining room table with the quilt spread out all over it. I can put a small fan under the table if I need to keep me cool. I usually rest the hoop on the edge of the table to take some of the weight off me.

At one time, I had an old fashioned quilt frame that resembled the frame of a long arm, but without the machine. I sat at the frame and the quilt was on a slight angle. I liked it as I didn't have to baste the quilt first, but you couldn't turn the quilt as you quilted so that the direction of your stitches was more comfortable. Learned how to quilt away from me using my thumb. There are many styles of "thumbles" for this feat.

The cat really liked this way, until I started angling the frame into a vertical position - nothing to lie on.

Good Luck & Happy Stitching.

Millstream Mom 09-26-2010 02:06 PM

I bought some luggage straps to hold the rolled up ends, and am able to get quite comfy! Luckily Eddies grooming tqable will be just the right height when I get to that bulky side panel!