Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Do You Have Your Quilts Quilted? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-have-your-quilts-quilted-t294362.html)

Homespun 01-27-2018 12:44 PM

I have a mid-arm. Husqvarna Viking Mega Quilter on a Grace frame. Not much width but it does what I need. I have learned several FMQ patterns...loops, swirls, waves and a sea shell like and something that looks like a hot dog bun.

sewingsuz 01-27-2018 12:49 PM

I have sent some out, and now I try my best to quilt on my domestic machine. I am not very good at it!

Annaquilts 01-27-2018 01:05 PM

I have a longarm and before that I did it on my domestic machine.

Juliebelle 01-27-2018 01:06 PM

I do all mine on my Janome 6600 I do lot with my walking foot but I have been working on getting better with free motion quilting.

tallchick 01-27-2018 01:12 PM

I quilted my first quilt on my DSM, it came out okay, but it was wayyyyy to much work to wrangle the quilt. When I figured out the average cost of sending them out to be quilted I figured that it would be cheaper n the long run to get a long arm and do them myself. I have had my long arm for a few years now and I’m having fun with it.

Dina 01-27-2018 01:18 PM

I quilt on my domestic, mainly SITD.

Dina

Wanabee Quiltin 01-27-2018 01:19 PM

I finished several on my small throat Bernina but hated the pinning etc. I found a lady who did beautiful pantos and used her for 3 years until I thought I wanted my own long arm. I have one now and while it’s fun doing the designs, its not fun messing with the tension. I have about 20 quilts waiting for me to finish them now and once warmer weather arrives, I think I’ll start tackling them. My long arm is in my walk out lower level and I have to heat it up for several hours before I go down there. Some days I think it would be far cheaper for me to send them to MSQC. Especially when the machine acts up and my repair guy charges me $200 for one weeks work.

rryder 01-27-2018 01:22 PM

I quilt all of mine on my domestic machines. For me, fmq and ruler work are the most fun parts of making a quilt!

Rob

zozee 01-27-2018 01:28 PM

So far I've done all my own quilting myself. When I started out, I had regular size domestics and only did child size or small lap. THen I got a Janome 8200 with an 11" inch throat and that opened up a lot more enjoyment for larger quilts. Still, I can't tolerate doing larger than a twin. If I ever move up to piecing a queen or larger, I'll send it out. No desire to rent or buy a LA at this point.

NZquilter 01-27-2018 01:39 PM

I FMQ all my quilts, all sizes, myself on my Singer 15-91. I mainly do simple stipple stitch but I'm trying to branch out and do more designs. There have been times I've been sorely tempted to send a quilt out to be longarm quilted, but the cost is too much. My quilting is not perfect by any means, but at least its free :)