Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you keep strip quit piecing straight - suggestions? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-keep-strip-quit-piecing-straight-suggestions-t194575.html)

bearisgray 07-14-2012 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by IrishNY (Post 5364414)
My first thought was to check her cutting. Sometimes if the fabric isn't folded on the grain right, the strip is wonky near the fold when it's cut. if you have two cut poorly, there can be a big problem near the fold line when you sew them together.

That dog leg can give some 'interesting' results -

cahanes 07-14-2012 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by IrishNY (Post 5364414)
My first thought was to check her cutting. Sometimes if the fabric isn't folded on the grain right, the strip is wonky near the fold when it's cut. if you have two cut poorly, there can be a big problem near the fold line when you sew them together.

That is a good thought. In this case however, she was using a jelly roll (which I failed to mention).

EasyPeezy 07-15-2012 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by cahanes (Post 5365485)
That is a good thought. In this case however, she was using a jelly roll (which I failed to mention).

We've all had a few wonky strips when using jelly rolls. Some are worse than others. I've used a lot of jelly rolls and like another poster mentioned, I like to cut my strips in half (at the fold). Much easier to handle, starch, etc. and I can avoid that "v".

burchquilts 07-15-2012 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by rhilkey (Post 5363578)
On a Missouri Quilt Co video they said to sew each strip from opposite ends to help keep the lines straight.

That's how I do it & I find that it really helps. Also... make sure the strips were cut straight to begin with. When cutting thru multiple layers, it's easy to get a bend.

newestnana 07-15-2012 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5363866)
Simple tools and using them correctly makes all the difference. That's why designer clothing cost so much. It's all in the details. I have learned I have to give every seam, every cut, every press, the same attention and care as I do the finest of applique. I use a Tailor's press on all my seams. And I press on a Steady Betty. The Steady Betty makes a big difference. The fabric does not move at all when pressing. It can't distort unless you force it. The right tools make my work look so much better. It took a long time for me to understand how important the smallest details matter in quilting.

I agree that the problem was most likely in the pressing, and I'm working on that issue myself. It's easy to press "more" in the middle than at the ends.

I'm interested in learning more about the Steady Betty. Also, BellaBoo, do you press your seams open?

jitkaau 07-15-2012 02:59 AM

Try sewing the strips with a walking foot and also from variable ends. Another thing I do is to pin the strip sets from the middle out to the ends and that stops any twisting.

jaciqltznok 07-15-2012 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer (Post 5363581)
When I sew stripes together, I dont start every strip at the same end, I sew 2 together, then when I add the third one, I start sewing it on on the opposite end, of where I sewed the first 2. I switch back and forth till Im done. Hope this helps.

YAY...this is the answer...AND that you really need a pressing BAR to press the seams open!

Vat 07-15-2012 03:38 AM

If you will sew every other strip from the opposite end and be very careful with pressing. Also, if you will sew in pairs all from the same end, press carefully, then sew the pairs together from the opposite ends. Works for me.

duckydo 07-15-2012 05:30 AM

I agree with the other posts about reversing your strips every other strip, and also be careful when pressing, I don't use steam because it could also stretch your strips out of shape.

duckydo 07-15-2012 05:32 AM

what is a pressing Bar? that sounds interesting