Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you lay out quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-lay-out-quilts-t86760.html)

MarySews 01-04-2011 05:31 PM

I have never used spray baste -- what does it do? I am assuming it must be something like photo spray glue. Does it hold everything together without pins or anything? You must have to do it on both sides of the batt so both back and front will be smoth.
I would think if it holds that well, it must leave a coating in the quilt?
I think I must have been out of the room when the whole topic of spray came up -- We have so many allergies in the family --even to dryer sheets, that I hesitate to add anything I am not sure of.

dljennings 01-05-2011 04:44 PM

i use the conference room @ work... after i'm off the clock...usually on a nite that i have to wait for dd to be done with orchestra or robotics... saves me the gas from making an extra trip to pick her up too!

RugosaB 01-06-2011 10:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Mt dearest husband made a sewing table/ cabinet, that when open, is 5 1/2' by 4', and made an insert for the hole where the sewing machine goes if I need to use that whole dimension. The hinges that hold up part of the table are rated to carry 500# each, and there's 2!
It's on my 'list of things to do' to share photos of the whole room, because other pics were so invaluable to us, these might be to others too, just haven't gotten there yet.
The reason he made the insert was to put the machine'sideways' to use a FMQ table, but he hasn't made that yet.

dljennings 01-06-2011 03:24 PM

wow...that is an awesome table he made...did he buy a plan or just do it up himself?

maryb119 01-06-2011 03:46 PM

I take mine to my mom who is a long arm quilter. She puts them on the machine and uses a long stitch and odds and ends of thread and bastes them for me. It sure beats crawling around the floor.

dublb 01-06-2011 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by petpainter
Patsy Thompson also has a video clip on her web site on how she does it on the wall. The biggest reason people don't like spray basting I think, is they use temporary spray. There is re positional Permanent spray that lasts for years without quilting. I have friends that have made walls with foam core, too. Another friend just bought a wall you can fold up and put away from a quilt show last month- looks great and works for a King. She lives in a mobile home, so has no room for a permanent wall. I envy all you guys with a basement!! I put the address in for the U tube video for Patsy, but it looks like you will have to copy and paste it- it's my first time replying here- I ashamed to say I've been a lurker for a long time. I need a good pic, too! Sally in Florida
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwV8tUkhxUM

I discovered this method last fall & have sandwiched 3 quilts this way. 1 is a full size & the other 2 are lg baby quilts. Only 1 is quilted but they are sandwiched!

Eisgoow 01-06-2011 05:44 PM

my dining room table works for me also.

lclang 01-06-2011 07:15 PM

Senior Centers, Community Buildings, Churches, Libraries, etc. all have large tables and most are more than willing to have them used for putting quilts together.

RugosaB 01-06-2011 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by dljennings
wow...that is an awesome table he made...did he buy a plan or just do it up himself?

I just typed a bunch and decided I'll just put this in it's own thread. We sort of made a plan with what we had to work with and was available

sylviasmom 01-07-2011 04:52 PM

Got this idea from my quilting class, made my own stretcher bars. They are about 7-8 feet long for length, 6-7 feet in width of 1x2, four pieces of lumber all together. Using staples I wrap in pieces in muslin allowing a piece of about 1 1/2 for pinning. I use c-clamps to hold the frame together. First pin the backing fabric, lay out the batting and then the quilt top. Make sure everything is taut and then you can either pin or baste. I usually work with this in the garage when there is plenty room and I can turn it around if I need to.