Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you make a beautiful quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-make-beautiful-quilt-t147415.html)

stephaniequeen 08-23-2011 06:39 PM

My quilts never look as good as everyone else. What am I doing wrong? They lack something. Is it the pattern choice...is it the fabric choices... what is the secret to making a beautiful quilt? :-( :-( :-(

Hattie Frances 08-23-2011 06:55 PM

I admire your tenacity, keep working on it. I have only done one complete quilt, I admit it didn't look to bad but the stippling was not good. I have several started and in different stages, but no completion. All I can say is keep working at it and your hard work will pay off.

alikat110 08-23-2011 06:58 PM

Well, you should post some pictures....i looked back through your posts. You've only posted 2 pictures, one for your gd, and your "ugly quilt", both of which I find charming. How many have you done? How do you chose pattern, fabric, colors????

hopetoquilt 08-23-2011 07:09 PM

Personally, I think fabric choice can make or break a quilt. It is also the most difficult part for me. Getting great fabrics and practice will make each quilt you create better.

BTW, I really liked your butterfly quilt.

jayelee 08-23-2011 07:11 PM

Your own quilt will never look good to you but others will love it I think you are lot like me My stuff never looks goos enough to me I always love everyone elses work It is so much better than mine but other people always rave over my quilts They must see something I am missing I have only seen I quilt I thought was bad that I didnt do

Sierra 08-23-2011 07:15 PM

Loosen up, try something you're not sure of just because it seems like a fun idea. Have fun!

Lori S 08-23-2011 07:29 PM

Go to some quilt shows ... see what attracts you to certain quilts. I know attending a few national shows really shoved me into be more adventuresome with colors... that was the one thing I walked away from every show ... the colors were just so fabulous. So every time I found myself navigating back to my comfort zone... I had to make a very conscience effort to go against my norm.
If you examine what captures you about a certain quilt(s) you will know what you want to work on to improve.

Maride 08-23-2011 07:36 PM

Your eye gets so used to see the combination of colors and the patterns and they don't seem pretty anymore. Take a break from it and your perception may change.

leatheflea 08-23-2011 07:43 PM

I looked at the quilts you posted here and I think they look great. Sometimes we are to hard on ourselves. Maybe if you buy a kit you would feel happier with the results? Confidence its a tough one that we all have struggled with. Honestly from what I've seen of your pictures you got what it is your looking for.

fabric_fancy 08-23-2011 07:46 PM

i haven't seen your work so i'll just mention a common mistake with beginner quilters and its fabric pattern scale.

some beginner quilters get caught up in all the beautiful prints on the market and put them all together in one quilt.

when working with prints its best to have large or medium size prints with small prints and blender/solid fabric.

this allows for your eyes to rest on those sections and see an overall design instead of getting lost in a sea of prints.