Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Do You Make A Design Board? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-make-design-board-t201578.html)

2blackcats 09-26-2012 08:15 AM

How Do You Make A Design Board?

I'm new at quilting and have heard many of you talk about design boards and have seen a few pictures of some. How do you make it? I have a very small room where I sew - in fact I have to get a murphy wall bed so I am able to back up my chair instead of climbing in and out. I don't have a lot of room, but the more I sew the more I can see the need for one. Thank you for any help you can provide.

rush88888 09-26-2012 08:22 AM

we just use a large flannel piece, and we stick it into the wall with regular sewing pins. even batiks stick to it!

quiltstringz 09-26-2012 08:23 AM

Look out on the web and search this site also. Many ways to make a design wall/board. You can even just tape (painters tape) batting up on the wall, that is what I did. there have been some ingenious ideas out there recently just haven't had time to figure out which I may want

janRN 09-26-2012 08:41 AM

I got a pair of Command Adhesive Wall hooks and a curtain rod. I made a rod pocket at the top of a flannel sheet and hang that on the curtain rod. I got everything at Walmart, total less than $15.00. I don't have a large wall so I folded the sheet to fit my wall space. It really does make it easier to put your blocks up to see if you like the colors and contrast.

Michellesews 09-26-2012 08:42 AM

another idea is to buy a vinyl tablecloth at the dollar store, they are flannel backed, use the back as a board...works great!

fabricbeforefood 09-26-2012 08:42 AM

I took a large piece of cardboard (I think if covered our dishwasher in transit), covered it with cheap flannel and lean it against the wall. When not in use I slide it under a bed. Works great.

Gramie bj 09-26-2012 08:43 AM

I went to the $ store an got a flannel backed tabel cloth and used straight pins to attach to the wall. Have been using the same one for over 3 years. If it is in the way I can take it down and fold it away. I can mount it on any wall, have even pined it to a curtain.

Raggiemom 09-26-2012 08:45 AM

Thanks for the great ideas!

romanojg 09-26-2012 08:54 AM

My first design wall was a queen size box springs up against the wall. My daughter was storing it in my sewing room so why not. It worked really well. Now mine is a thin of backing board covered with muslin and batting and hung on the wall. It's hung high and even though I could use a bigger one it's better than not having one at all. If I really needed a big one I could grab the box springs from the spare room. Ha

batikmystique 09-26-2012 09:08 AM

For smaller projects, you can get the tri-folds made of heavy cardboard (kids use them for science project displays at science fairs) and glue felt to the inside surfaces. They can be purchased at Wal-Mart or Hobby Lobby for around $5. Fully opened, they allow for a decent working area then fold up to be easily stored away. A project could be left folded up in it as well for protection until the next time you are ready to work on it.