Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you make a T-shirt quilt without using iron on interfacing to stabilize? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-make-t-shirt-quilt-without-using-iron-interfacing-stabilize-t234285.html)

Annaquilts 11-08-2013 09:14 AM

How do you make a T-shirt quilt without using iron on interfacing to stabilize?

How do you make a T-shirt quilt without using iron on interfacing to stabilize?
I make them with ironing on interfacing to the back side of the T-shirt block. I was reading a website that makes T-shirt quilts and they claim not to use it. I just wonder if any one else has made a quilt like it without using interfacing and what did they use in its place.
Thanks!

gramajo 11-08-2013 09:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's from "How to Make a Too-Cool T-Shirt" by Andrea T. Funk. I believe she also has a website. My DD made this for me following the directions in her book. My daughter did not use any interfacing or stabilizer for the T-shirts.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]445625[/ATTACH]I've posted this on QB before. This is my favorite quilt ever! It's the story of my life.

lakekids 11-08-2013 09:31 AM

I have made numerous T-Shirt Quilts with out using interfacing. I used the Too Cool T-shirt method. It is really all about using standard sizes to cut your pieces. For example, in the quilts I made all the pieces were cut in increments of 4 inches (plus seam allowance). So, I cut 4 1/2 x 4/1/2, 4 1/2 x 8 1/2, 4 1/2 x 12 1/2, 4 1/2 by 16 1/2, then repeat for 8 1/2 , 12 1/2 and 16 1/2. The pieces are cut based on the size of the logo that you are cutting out. Then because you know that all pieces are in increments of 4 inches you know that if you put 2 of the smallest pieces (4 1/2 in. squares) together then they should match with an 8 1/2 inch square.

The only time I would use interfacing was if the shirt was really flimsy or it was a mesh shirt (with holes in it). I have never understood the overwhelming use of interfacing when making T-shirt quilts. The T-shirts weren't made using interfacing so why is interfacing needed when re-purposing them? As long as you cut pieces in sizes that should fit together, then you just use standard sewing techniques to 'ease' any difference.

This is an example of one I made. post #32

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ml#post4790296

feline fanatic 11-08-2013 11:58 AM

In my mind sewing should be pleasurable not an exercise in frustration. The stabilizer keeps the knit of the T from curling up and stretching as sewing. I have made at least 10 T-shirt quilts and I used an iron on interfacing for all of them. People have paid me over $400 to make them T-shirt quilts. So I would say I am making a nice product if someone is willing to shell out that much. And I have had several references so I know my customers were very happy with their quilts. If I were to attempt to make a T-shirt quilt without interfacing I would starch it to the point of being like cardstock.
I'll continue to use interfacing. The lightweight .99 per yard stuff from Joannes does not add any weight, does not make the shirts stiff and saves me untold amounts of frustration when piecing AND quilting the finished product.

Edited to add, all my T-shirt quilts were made using 1/4" seam. When T-shirts are made they use the standard 5/8" seam and every t-shirt I have ever purchased had serged edges so I am figuring that is the difference when making a t-shirt as opposed to making a T into a quilt. Additionally new knit does not have the same tendency to curl up like a well loved T-shirt. Also I had a client T-shirt quilt come to me for LA quilting and did not have interfacing. It was a nightmare to quilt do to the streching and I will never take one in again that does not have iron on interfacing

DebraK 11-08-2013 12:52 PM

I agree with you, feline fanatic. Much easier with the interfacing.

ManiacQuilter2 11-08-2013 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK (Post 6394252)
I agree with you, feline fanatic. Much easier with the interfacing.

I agree with using interfacing. I'm from the old school. I could NOT imagine t-shirts not stretching especially since there are so many different types that t-shirts are made from. Good Luck if it can be done....

DebraK 11-08-2013 01:10 PM

looks great. I wear out my t-shirts so badly. I wouldn't want a stained and holey quilt ;-)

Nammie to 7 11-08-2013 01:18 PM

I haven't made one --it is on my bucket list -- I'm all for making it easy so will use the interfacing. It's always good to hear of other methods so one can make the choice that works best for each person.

Annaquilts 11-08-2013 01:19 PM

Thank you for your feedback. I will longarm quilt this.

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 6394166)
In my mind sewing should be pleasurable not an exercise in frustration. The stabilizer keeps the knit of the T from curling up and stretching as sewing. I have made at least 10 T-shirt quilts and I used an iron on interfacing for all of them. People have paid me over $400 to make them T-shirt quilts. So I would say I am making a nice product if someone is willing to shell out that much. And I have had several references so I know my customers were very happy with their quilts. If I were to attempt to make a T-shirt quilt without interfacing I would starch it to the point of being like cardstock.
I'll continue to use interfacing. The lightweight .99 per yard stuff from Joannes does not add any weight, does not make the shirts stiff and saves me untold amounts of frustration when piecing AND quilting the finished product.

Edited to add, all my T-shirt quilts were made using 1/4" seam. When T-shirts are made they use the standard 5/8" seam and every t-shirt I have ever purchased had serged edges so I am figuring that is the difference when making a t-shirt as opposed to making a T into a quilt. Additionally new knit does not have the same tendency to curl up like a well loved T-shirt. Also I had a client T-shirt quilt come to me for LA quilting and did not have interfacing. It was a nightmare to quilt do to the streching and I will never take one in again that does not have iron on interfacing