Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you organise your fabric stash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-organise-your-fabric-stash-t277079.html)

annesthreads 03-25-2016 10:08 AM

How do you organise your fabric stash?

I'm appreciating the helpful replies to my question about storing thread and bobbins. Next: the fabric. I know how I'm going to store it, but categorising it is always a bugbear. I arrange by colour, but also try to divide by size, so that I'm not putting small pieces with potential quilt backings. (And when does a small piece become a scrap?!). Ive tried various arrangements in the past, and would be interested to know how other people sort their fabric.

ManiacQuilter2 03-25-2016 10:39 AM

I sort by types such as plaids, batiks or florals. I try to keep my tonals sorted by color but as your stash increase, you need to flexible to change.

Boston1954 03-25-2016 10:42 AM

Blenders, blues, and greens have their own boxes, just because I have so much. Christmas, and Halloween also. My batiks are all together, plus anything that may end up being the backing.

gramajo 03-25-2016 10:43 AM

I just sort by color in bins. I do not find it difficult to sort through them even with many different sizes in it. I do throw small pieces in bins, sorting by brights, pastels and darks. I do not have a lot of large backing sizes. I tend to keep FQ bundles together. There are many threads on here about this subject, so you may find some help there.

notmorecraft 03-25-2016 10:43 AM

Badly! Lol, I keep changing my mind as to whether to store by colour or by size, then I use some and that makes me look at the whole lot again. But I done have a large start like done if you gals ��

redstilettos 03-25-2016 10:54 AM

Organize? Organise? Orgineyes? What IS this word you speak of??

TexasSunshine 03-25-2016 04:56 PM

I organize in bins by color, solids, tònals, novelty and prints together. Batiks and flannels are together.

quiltingshorttimer 03-25-2016 05:30 PM

Organize??? But seriously, larger pieces (bigger than 1/4 yd) go into my china cabinet by type (batiks, precuts, etc) and the "odd" scrapes (1/4" yd or less but not little scraps)goes into plastic drawers by color. Then I have a bag of nothing but strips that can be used for a string quilt and have a bag of "littles" that sits by machine--maybe some day I'll actually do something with them now that I have an Accuquilt cutter, but mostly they are just leaders.

Oh--and all Christmas fabrics are stashed into a large tub.

Mazda 03-25-2016 06:19 PM

I sort by color. The color that draws my eye is the bin it goes in.

dunster 03-25-2016 06:44 PM

I think the method of organization depends very much on how large your stash is and how much room you have to store it. My scraps, FQ's, and yardage are in separate areas, but they are all organized by type of fabric and color. Really big pieces, and also pieces that may become OBW's, are also separate. But occasionally the sorting system has to be tweaked.