Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you organize your batiks? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-organize-your-batiks-t229606.html)

nuevaquilter 09-06-2013 12:20 PM

How do you organize your batiks?

Oh, wise friends, do you sort your batiks with the rest of your fabrics, or do you keep them separate?

Last night I managed to knock over a couple of bins of fabric (well, they were sorted) as well as scraps from 5 (yes, five) ongoing projects. So today became Organize Your Stash Day. Again. And I wasn't sure that my organizational skills were up to snuff.

I usually cut smaller scraps into usable squares or strips (a la Bonnie Hunter's Scrap Organizer System) and sort them by size; larger pieces by color I sort by color. But I tend to keep the batiks in a separate bin. Now I have so many that I'll need multiple bins for those, too. So does it even make any sense to keep them separate? I'm not sure why I started doing that -- I do mix fabrics in some quilts. What do you do?

katier825 09-06-2013 12:33 PM

I keep them separate...although I also mix them in quilts sometimes. I don't have a lot of yardage, but those I wrap on comic boards. Mostly I have 1/2 to 1 yard pieces or smaller. The 1/2 yd pieces I wrap around my 4" ruler to fold. FQs are in a plastic bin. Scraps get all mixed together.

ghostrider 09-06-2013 01:03 PM

My batiks are separate, by color; my solids are separate, by color range; my prints are separate, by color; my fused fabrics/scraps are separate, all together, flatly stacked. All are in clear 28-quart bins unless a full bolt was purchased. I don't buy pre-cuts and I don't pre-cut any yardage or scraps. I keep batiks separate because when I am looking for something, I look by fabric type first, then by color within the type.

Sorting fabric is just like sorting paperwork. Think about how you will be looking for it and 'file' it whatever way makes it easiest for you to find.

HouseDragon 09-06-2013 01:16 PM

My batiks are separate and sorted by colour.

I do mix them with "regular" cottons in quilts but I keep them separate because I also make quilts with just batiks.

The rest of my stash is mostly sorted by colour
into plastic bins except for Christmas, Halloween, Laural Birch, CATS (lots and lots of cats), Kaffe Fassett, and kitted projects (either bought or put together by me).

toverly 09-06-2013 01:17 PM

I keep my batiks with other fabrics. I have bins sorted by color. So far only one shade of fabric per bin. My prints go in a prints bin. I keep yardage, cuts and scraps all together. But then, as you can tell, I don't have a large stash (yet) only about 12 bins.

PaperPrincess 09-06-2013 02:11 PM

Mine are separate

Lori S 09-06-2013 02:14 PM

My batiks have their own place in my stash organized by color. Those that have the least print or read more as a solid , are on the bottom of the corresponding color stack.

Mariposa 09-06-2013 02:36 PM

I keep my batiks separate, by color. I do mix them in with other fabrics in projects, but also have specific projects just using batiks. :)

dunster 09-06-2013 03:09 PM

Separate, roughly by color.

Deb watkins 09-06-2013 04:04 PM

haha, I have mine in a separate container and every once in a short time I pull them out of the container and drool over them. I have actually caught myself 'petting' them....