Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Do You Organize Your Books???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-organize-your-books-t276516.html)

Tiggersmom 03-08-2016 01:12 PM

How Do You Organize Your Books????

I've just moved my bookshelves around and was thinking of the best way to organize the books. By title, by author, or by theme????? I don't always remember the name of a book or the authors name:hunf:
Some of them don't have real binding where you can read the title or author which makes it harder for me to deal with.......maybe all those should go into their own little pile?
I have quite a few so I will probably go through and give away or at least offer some to my friends that are fairly new quilters.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. TIA, Jennifer

Claire123 03-08-2016 01:15 PM

I have some in magazine holders on a bookshelf and some in a pile on a table. As long as you can find it when you need it the method of organization works.

ManiacQuilter2 03-08-2016 01:45 PM

This is weird but I sort by who published them. My Patchwork Place books are together and my EB books are also together.

dunster 03-08-2016 02:05 PM

I have the same problem. I've put some together by subject, but most are in a jumble on the shelf. I did update a list recently of the books I have, and was shocked that there were almost 200 quilting books.

PaperPrincess 03-08-2016 02:08 PM

My filing system only makes sense to me!

judy363905 03-08-2016 02:19 PM

I have the app My Library and I have all my quilt booking and magazines entered there by author and technique along with other notes. The actual books are organized by author's name and magazines by name of magazine. Easy to find anything I need....if I return them when I am finished :)

Judy in Phx, AZ

Pennyhal 03-08-2016 02:32 PM

Mine are grouped by topic. I have some "coffee table" quilt books that I leave out all the time. My husband made me a bookcase that has ledges...sort of like what libraries have for periodicals...for the thin ones that are more booklets than books. Heaven forbid I should ever have to move my bookcases.

catsden 03-08-2016 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7488361)
This is weird but I sort by who published them. My Patchwork Place books are together and my EB books are also together.

I do the same and also for my magazines except for them they are also by month/year.

tessagin 03-08-2016 03:37 PM

This would be a good way to do it. My niece is an avid reader (not quilter) and hers are by the author because they usually are also published by the same company.

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7488361)

tessagin 03-08-2016 03:39 PM

I only have a few everything else is on computer!