Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Do You Organize Your Fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-organize-your-fabric-t72078.html)

erstan947 10-24-2010 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by maine ladybug
Organize??? What's that?? LOL I wish I had time to organize my stash, but I'd rather be quilting.

My system is: All my fabric is confined into ONE room. For me that is ultra organization. :)

auntmag 10-24-2010 04:06 PM

I just stick my most recent purchase in the cabinet wherever it will fit. I have tried to organize, but seem to get lost during the process.

Originally Posted by maine ladybug
Organize??? What's that?? LOL I wish I had time to organize my stash, but I'd rather be quilting.

Hammockhanger 10-24-2010 04:15 PM

I am a fabriaholic. If I bought coordinates the are stored together. Then Christmas themed fabric goes together. After that I sort by colors. I store all mt FQ by colors a well. I love fabric! I have my walls lined with shelves that have sq cubbies. They are all filled with fabric. Looks like a small quilt shop.

pocoellie 10-24-2010 04:34 PM

I sort by background color

stewyscrewy 10-24-2010 04:59 PM

I m still wanting to get my lil fabic stack to turn into a stash, right now it is in a drawer and loaded by size of each piece, yardage on bottm and fat 1/4s then strip scraps.

sewTinker 10-24-2010 04:59 PM

fat quarters and large scraps folded and sorted by colors in shelf case. coordinated fabrics from same 'line' tied together and stored in rubbermaid tower drawer labeled "sets." Future projects stored in clear plastic envelopes with pattern and intendee's name. Themed fabrics (aunt grace, holiday, baby, child, animal, etc...) in plastic boxes and labeled and also in rubbermaid drawers marked Themes. quilt backs folded & stacked on shelves.

Jim's Gem 10-24-2010 07:42 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!
I organize by type, then color. Ok, first by amount, the fat quarters have their own special home in a couple 3-drawer carts. The "backing" size pieces, (over 6 yards) have a cabinet and the rest are in the garage in clear rubbermaid totes. Scraps are in a 3-drawer cart and the rest of the fabrics are neatly folded to fit inside my special fabric cabinets.

GrandmaJeanne 10-24-2010 07:46 PM

I organize by color, but have separate piles on a shelf for diffent holidays, fall, winter. And my fat quarters are filed neatly in an under the bed shoe organizer. It works out great for me.

FortMyers 10-25-2010 04:03 AM

It is in my sewing room, the only real organization I have is my seasonal fabris, hand-dyes and the projects that I am doing now and in the future....

Moon Holiday 10-25-2010 04:38 AM

I sort by printed, batiks and solids. Then I sort within these groups by color, and there's always another sub-group under printed and batiks for multi-colors. I also keep my kits and precuts grouped together in a section of my 4-door cupboard. And last, I keep my home dec and clothing fabric separate from my quilting fabrics.