Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do YOU Paper piece when using iron on fusible? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-paper-piece-when-using-iron-fusible-t74151.html)

Cuddly Quilter 11-03-2010 10:42 PM

Hi there everyone. I love paper piecing and have only recently heard that you can iron your material onto fusible paper and then you stitch and iron onto your paper!!!???? I am confused by this. Is there anyone who knows how to do this as i am very interested as i feel that by doing it this way, your material will not stretch out of shape or be "loose" when folded and ready to add your next piece. I also feel that you do NOT HAVE extra wastage of material with unnessary cuttoffs. Appreciate your comments. My first request on this wonderful site.
Happy sewing to you all out there.

mac 11-03-2010 11:58 PM

Well, I have to say that I have never heard of this. I tried to look it up on the web and only found paper piecing and fusible applique.

I do know that there is a technique where you can cut your fabric into squares and you fuse it to a fusible interfacing that has 2" grid on it. Once you fill the grid with your squares, you fuse them and then sew the grid together. I can't remember the name of the book that this came from. It was a popular method about 7 or 8 years ago. Gosh, the author's name is on the tip of my tongue... If I think of it, I send another note.

Cuddly Quilter 11-04-2010 12:54 AM

Thanks very much for your quick response. Not sure if this is what they were referring to, probably is. Lets see what else comes up. (This is so exciting)

katier825 11-04-2010 01:23 AM

I've never heard of the paper piecing fusible other than I thought I heard once that someone used the leftover paper from the steam-a-seam 2 sheets. If that's what you are talking about, the leftover piece is not fusible, it's more of a separator sheet.

I think Mac is referring to the watercolor quilts grid foundation.

QuiltswithConvicts 11-04-2010 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Cuddly Quilter
Hi there everyone. I love paper piecing and have only recently heard that you can iron your material onto fusible paper and then you stitch and iron onto your paper!!!???? I am confused by this. Is there anyone who knows how to do this as i am very interested as i feel that by doing it this way, your material will not stretch out of shape or be "loose" when folded and ready to add your next piece. I also feel that you do NOT HAVE extra wastage of material with unnessary cuttoffs. Appreciate your comments. My first request on this wonderful site.
Happy sewing to you all out there.

Instead of fusibles, was it really freezer paper?

I have tried that method only once - in a workshop. Judy Mathieson introduced it & personally, I don't care much for it. I was fighting it the whole time. The freezer paper didn't want to stay put! I would rather tear the papers off when finished - good TV watching activity.

Also, I don't understand how you would not have waste when PPing, what with over-cutting and trimming. Let us know what you think when you try it?

thimblebug6000 11-04-2010 07:19 AM

I just watched this on kayewood, I'll see if I can get the link for you. http://www.kayewoodtv.com/ktv/ and then select Mariner's Compass, it's actually fusible interfacing that she's building it with.

Scissor Queen 11-04-2010 07:46 AM

If you mean freezer paper it's not exactly a fusible since it peels off.

I took a class from Sally Schneider in the freezer paper paper piecing and it's way easier than it sounds and works really, really well.

Cuddly Quilter 11-04-2010 10:05 AM

Thimblebug thank you very much for replying. I have just looked at the video. Oh my gosh, it is so easy and to have the fusible paper already marked is an extra BONUS. I would love to try this right now.....lol. Typical quilter - would love to do everything i see NOW!!!!!
What i had seen was the centre blocked ironed on and then the second piece stitched, folded and then ironed. That is what confused me, but the video has made it so much easier to see and understand.
I am sure everyone who is also experiencing problems with paper piecing will find this very interesting.

mac 11-04-2010 10:40 AM

Thanks so much for this link, it was very interesting to see how they fused piecing (not paper fused piecing). After seeing this, I may actually try to do a Mariner's Compas.

By the way, the author I was trying to think of was:

Dina Papas, author of "Quick Watercolor Quilts - The Fuse, Fold and Stitch Method" and "More Quick Watercolor Quilts"

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
I just watched this on kayewood, I'll see if I can get the link for you. http://www.kayewoodtv.com/ktv/ and then select Mariner's Compass, it's actually fusible interfacing that she's building it with.

amma 11-04-2010 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Cuddly Quilter
Thimblebug thank you very much for replying. I have just looked at the video. Oh my gosh, it is so easy and to have the fusible paper already marked is an extra BONUS. I would love to try this right now.....lol. Typical quilter - would love to do everything i see NOW!!!!!
What i had seen was the centre blocked ironed on and then the second piece stitched, folded and then ironed. That is what confused me, but the video has made it so much easier to see and understand.
I am sure everyone who is also experiencing problems with paper piecing will find this very interesting.

That isn't a fusible paper, it is a type of printed fusible interfacing. :D:D:D