Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you pick colors for a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-pick-colors-quilt-t55735.html)

Quilting Nana 07-24-2010 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Spydee
I agree with go with what you like, but if you feel color challenged there are two tricks that might help...

1. Buy the all the fabric for a quilt from one fabric line. After all the manufacturer do make an effort to coordinate the look, so take advantage of it. This where charm packs/layer cakes/fat quarter packs/ etc. come in handy.

2. Another trick is a trip to the paint store-- yep the paint store. Those free paint chip brochures have wonderful professionally coordinated color combinations. Pick up a few of those and march off to the fabric store and let those guide your fabric purchases.

I am sure others will chime in with some of the tricks they use to pick fabric.

What a GREAT idea. I never thought of going to the paint store to see what colors go together.
Thanks,

rahaube 07-24-2010 05:30 PM

As an artist and a quilter, I recommend you get a color wheel. Color schemes using analogus colors or complimentary colors. Analogus colors are those on either side of a chosen color and complimentary colors are those opposite a particular color on the color wheel. You can also use a split compliment scheme which means you select the color directly across from your main color then choose the colors on either side of that. Another means of selecting colors is to pick a print that you like then select you other lights and darks from the other colors in the print.

patti-cakes 07-24-2010 06:45 PM

I pick out all the bolts that feel like they go together best, then I step back and squint at it, so it's kind of fuzzy. If anything stands out crazy bad I take it out of the pile. This is a trick I read about long ago when I first started quilting - 1976! Lots of bright fabric back then!

zz-pd 07-24-2010 11:17 PM

I just see colors and designs in my head, Then I look at what I have to work with, and go from there. God bless. Penny

knlsmith 07-24-2010 11:50 PM

Picking colors for a pattern or picking a pattern for the colors. For me its kind of like which came first: the chicken or the egg. All depends on which one speaks louder to me. LOl

judi wess 07-25-2010 03:48 AM

I pick the focus fabric to set the mood of the quilt then go togethers according to what makes the focus look best.

PattyS 07-25-2010 04:11 AM

I have a friend who has a wonderful eye for color so when I want to start a project I invite her over and we go through my stash to see what I have then go to lunch and hit the fabric store for any fabrics still needed!!

fireworkslover 07-25-2010 04:41 AM

I pick a quilt pattern first and go from there. Many patterns call for a focus fabric that has multiple colors in it and you then choose other prints that have those same colors in them and have those be different values, as well. Other times, I get an idea in my head of what I want in the end and choose colors that go together or contrast, depending on the design. Sometimes, I've not been able to find the exact color fabric I wanted, so ended up using lots of thread to achieve the look I wanted (when fmq). You can always go with analogous colors, complimentary =opposite each other on the color wheel, etc. like others have mentioned. I personally think you can't go wrong with using whatever colors you like together. I do think it's a good idea to cut out your fabric choices and place them on a pattern of your block to preview what they'll look like - before you go to all the work of sewing a block together. It's much easier to change out a small piece of fabric from a block when it's glued on verses all sewn together.

marykoch 07-25-2010 05:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by koipuddle
Thank you for the responses. Actually, I've not made a quilt yet, just getting into the learning mode. Tomorrow I go into town to check on a quilting class. But am ready to get the material and start cutting. I need to get a belt for the ol treadle singer machine that my grandmother used, then will be ready to start putting the blocks together. I think. As for the pattern, thought I'd start with the D9P and have a border around every 9block.
Jack

Here is one that I did that way just recently.

butterflywing 07-25-2010 09:39 AM

just poked in, so i don't know if anyone directly answered.

a backing for a generous queen quilt - 96 x 96 - needs at 3' of 108" or 9' of 40" seamed fabric. add in your amount for seam allowances on the front.
the more pieces you have in the design. the more you need for seam allowances. if you know anyone with a computer program, it can be broken down for you.