Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you pin? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-pin-t283587.html)

AliceQ 11-06-2016 05:23 AM

How do you pin?

This has been a question I've had for a long time. Finally going to ask. How do you pin? Do you pin parallel to the edge of the fabric or perpendicular (is that the right word?) and why? I usually pin parallel to the edge. My thinking is that it holds a larger area more firmly in place. Maybe you folks have better reasoning for the other way. Thanks

ckcowl 11-06-2016 05:37 AM

I pin in a grid, stabilizing in all directions. About every 3-4"

lfletcher 11-06-2016 06:19 AM

I pin perpendicular and a good friend pins parallel so I think it's just a matter of preference. To me, if you pin parallel, it's harder to remove the pins as you sew.

luvspaper 11-06-2016 06:30 AM

I start in the middle and work out and whatever way the pin ends up it goes, so definitely a mixture, including some diagonals. When I get to the outside borders I usually pin parallel to them.

DebraK 11-06-2016 06:39 AM

mostly perpendicular to match seams, but go parallel occasionally as needed.

Austinite 11-06-2016 06:58 AM

I just start in the middle and pin outward in all directions every so often, usually probably end up with pins 3-4" apart. If there's an obvious grid to the fabric design then I'll pin inside of it and quilt along the grid lines so I can do all the quilting without stopping to remove pins.

joe'smom 11-06-2016 07:25 AM

I pin both parallel and perpendicular, depending on the situation. I find that perpendicular pinning holds things together more securely, so I use that if I'm concerned about things shifting. I'll often use a combination on the same piece.

PaperPrincess 11-06-2016 07:36 AM

You would pin in 2 different situations, when piecing and when sandwiching. I think you are asking about pinning when piecing? Sally Collins, who wrote a couple books on precision machine piecing recommends parallel to the edge. I do both ways, depending on what I'm pinning. I usually pin seam intersections parallel to the edge, but if I'm pinning a long strip, like a border, I pin perpendicular, with the point towards the edge. I try to keep the point from extending past the edge.
In either case, I hear my mom's voice: "pin on the table!". In other words, if at all possible, align your pieces on your work surface, hold the pin as parallel to the fabric as possible, and slide it in. Don't pin in the air just holding it in your hands, stabbing the pin straight into the fabric, which can cause the fabric to move when you weave the pin thru. This is more of a garment construction technique. If you watch a garment construction video, you can see what I mean.
Also, you want to use the thinnest pins you can find.
Phew!

Bluelady 11-06-2016 07:46 AM

Are you asking about pinning when you are ready to do the quilting? I safety pin every which way.. Are you asking about pinning as you piece? I only pin when piecing the rows of already pieced blocks together. In other words as I piece the blocks, I do not pin .. once I get the whole row sewed together I pin to the next row. And I pin when putting on the borders, very long pieces..
I pin perpendicular to the edge as it is easier to pull the pins out as I am sewing. On occasion I pin parallel to the edge, but I always seem to get more puckers or torqued fabric that way

Kitsie 11-06-2016 07:58 AM

If you are referring to pinning before quilting I don't think it matters. For pinning before piecing I do perpendicular. :D