Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you prefer to baste? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-prefer-baste-t71734.html)

Lynnie25 10-22-2010 08:59 PM

I thread baste if I am going to hand quilt but pin baste if I am machine quilting. Have never tried spray basting and not sure that I want too, although I notice on this Board that a lot of quilters use it and have no problems whatsoever.

amma 10-22-2010 09:18 PM

Spray basting for me too :D:D:D

scowlkat 10-22-2010 10:00 PM

I can't spray baste very often due to my asthma and I also have birds so can't take a chance on harming them. I have tried thread basting but really prefer pin basting. It is a lot quicker for me and I don't have space to spread the entire quilt out so have to do it in sections.

miss_ticky2 10-22-2010 10:18 PM

Never tried spray basting but I prefer thread basting to pin basting - not that I've done a lot of either..lol. Pinning, and then removing them gets annoying...and hard on the fingers :)

knlsmith 10-22-2010 10:20 PM

I but the spray at walmart. No problems with it yet. Wash everything when I am done

MadQuilter 10-22-2010 10:23 PM

I pin using the curved pins and I do it about hand-width apart. When a pin gets in the way, I take it out and don't have to worry about picking out basting thread bits.

ckcowl 10-23-2010 01:52 AM

thread basting for me...i think it's lots easier than pins, and lots easier to remove too...and i can cover much more ground in less time. holds better (for me) and stays flat.
haven't liked the spray basting...seems like still had to baste anyway, and i made a mess...

Maggiemay 10-23-2010 06:07 AM

Spray basting with a few pins for me.

AlwaysQuilting 10-23-2010 06:30 AM

I pin baste large quilts, and spray smaller ones.

But I have an odd friend who uses an odd technique on her odd quilts. (I said all that because I know she'll read this....she's a lurker who won't come out of hiding but reads this forum all the time like I do...maybe this will make her join in and defend herself....).:D :D
Anyway, she widens her stitch as much as possible and then uses a bar tack stitch all over the quilt although she doesn't let the needle go back and forth more than 3 times per tack.
I know (and I've told her!) that is the same as tying a quilt (sort of) but she then quilts feathers or whatever all over without being annoyed with pins. After she's done she removes the bar tack stitches. She said she learned this from her odd great aunt. :D
I've never seen anyone else do this but her quilt sandwiches stay put very well while quilting.
She thinks I'm nuts for putting in tons of pins and then moving them, and taking them out etc. And I have to say her way is much faster than mine.
(Now, Barb, come out, come out where ever you are!!) :-D

littlehud 10-23-2010 07:43 AM

I used to use pins but now I prefer spray basting. I still pin the edges though.