Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you prep your fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-prep-your-fabric-t252470.html)

kindleaddict63 08-26-2014 05:27 PM

When I started quilting I just couldn't wait to get my project underway, however I am now more inclined to prepare fabrics. I will wash and iron yardage but as I don't use precuts very often I probably would not launder them before use. I have very recently been persuaded to use starch in my next project as several quilters indicate it is helpful. I offer no advice other than maybe try it and if it doesn't make any difference then go with what makes you happy.

rebeljane 08-26-2014 08:32 PM

I always prewash my fabrics because I would not want my quilt ruined by the colours running when I washed it. White on whites seem to go very limp after washing so I starch the hell out of them. Just my 2 cents worth

DOTTYMO 08-26-2014 10:28 PM

I prewash if the fabric is a bright colour to stop the dye running.

tesspug 08-26-2014 11:14 PM

I usually lay them all out and then give them a good motivational speech. They're usually prepped after that.

Prissnboot 08-27-2014 03:58 AM

I admit it, I'm a avid pre-washer. I zigzag along the cut edges of the fabric, then wash in the hottest water and dry on highest heat. I'll iron it if I'm using it immediately; otherwise, I just put it away until needed. I always iron before cutting, and I starch while I iron, so I figure why waste time ironing it twice...unless it's particularly wrinkled when coming out of the dryer - then I will iron without starch to avoid creases.

mojo11 08-27-2014 05:18 AM

I pre-wash all my fabrics. Mainly to get out all the chemicals and other junk that is used in other countries where it is made. Also for shrinkage and bleeding. When you read about washing your clothes before wearing, I will wash all fabric to.

gram2five 08-27-2014 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 (Post 6859677)
I prewash all my fabric -- if for nothing more than to get all the chemicals out of it. I dry it in the dryer but do not iron i. I then ruler fold it and put it in the right drawer. I iron the fabric just before I use it. Then I will also use starch. I'm not going to waste my time ironing right after washing if I'm going to put it away. It will need to be ironed before it is cut anyway.

This is exactly what I do. I don't like the smell of most fabrics when I get them home, but love it when they are freshly laundered.

tessagin 08-27-2014 07:23 AM

I pre wash everything because all the material makes me sneeze depending on where I've purchased the material. I do it while I have other things going on. I pre iron also while I have someone on speaker phone. I've usually got something going while doing something else. One day DH walked in and I had the washer and dryer going and was on the phone and ironing. I was also winding bobbins. I try to get a few things going at one time but it doesn't always work that way.

danlynmartin 08-27-2014 11:37 AM

I prewash and set blacks,reds and sometimes greens

MargeD 08-27-2014 11:53 AM

With few exceptions, and as much as I dislike ironing clothing, I do prewash all my fabrics, with just an occasional exception, and if I don't get to the fabric when it comes out of the dryer, I will spritz them with water, set up the ironing board with my favorite TV program and it makes the time go faster, and I wind up with freshly ironed and folded fabric ready to put away.