Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you quilt for Florida? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-quilt-florida-t254662.html)

Jan in VA 10-03-2014 10:54 AM

The same as you do for anywhere else, except you use Quilters Dream Select Loft cotton batting or their wool batting. Yep, wool! Wool tends to regulate warmth, not "make" you warm. I sleep under my wool-batted quilt in the summer when the house temp is 76 degrees. Never use polyester, which holds in heat.

Jan in VA

Chasezzz 10-03-2014 11:00 AM

I quilt here in Central Florida, and I use Quilters Dream 70/30 all the time. It is thin enough, and as others have said, lap/personal size quilts are often used to take the chill out of the air conditioning.

mike'sgirl 10-03-2014 01:01 PM

I use Hobbs 80/20. It's pretty much the only batting I use.

charsuewilson 10-03-2014 05:01 PM

Most people living in Florida have acclimated to the warmer weather and feel cold when people from up north wouldn't. I remember starting college at Michigan State U and you could tell the people from the south because they were wearing winter coats and wrapped up in scarfs in September, when the people from Michigan were wearing short sleeves and shorts. So, I wouldn't change the batting for a Florida quilt. It might be better not to do a denim and flannel quilt with batting, though.

sewbizgirl 10-03-2014 05:30 PM

You don't have to use any batting... just a front and a back. Or try one thickness of flannel instead of batting.

Ellageo 10-04-2014 03:55 AM

North* -South *

Originally Posted by charsuewilson (Post 6914273)
Most people living in Florida have acclimated to the warmer weather and feel cold when people from up north wouldn't. I remember starting college at Michigan State U and you could tell the people from the south because they were wearing winter coats and wrapped up in scarfs in September, when the people from Michigan were wearing short sleeves and shorts. So, I wouldn't change the batting for a Florida quilt. It might be better not to do a denim and flannel quilt with batting, though.

EXACTLY!! The first time I went to FL, I took my 3 children. It was END of October...my kids had a ball swimming & running around in 'summer' clothes. I heard passerbys commenting on the Crazy northerners!! It was really warm! for us!

coopah 10-04-2014 04:28 AM

Just like for anywhere else. With AC in most residences, the only time many Floridians sweat is if they have to work outside. So when your friend makes quilts, she should decide the batt on where it will be used. I generally use Hobbs 80/20.
Yes, we do feel cold at 60! I say my blood has 'thinned.' But in reality, as one ages, it seems that more heat is needed! Go figure! WE always know who the tourists are in the winter! :)

petpainter 10-04-2014 04:30 AM

I live on the Space Coast and we do like our quilts in our winter and for the air conditioner/fans! Almost all my friends use warm and natural, I have some wool on order and am excited to try it! If you like the high loft 80/20 is still okay when the humidity is a bit lower.

nunnyJo 10-04-2014 04:59 AM

I use a plain cotton batting, works just fine>

MarthaT 10-04-2014 05:11 AM

Because I hand quilt, I like using Hobbs Polydown. It is much easier to hand quilt than something with cotton. I live in S. AL, just north of the Fla. line and we like warm quilts and throws to snuggle under during our "cold" winter days & nights. Hey, it really does get down to freezing at least a few nights each year.