Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Do You Rate Your Color Sense? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-rate-your-color-sense-t258372.html)

Boston1954 12-17-2014 09:43 AM

How Do You Rate Your Color Sense?

Sometimes when I am auditioning fabric for a new project, I think it looks great.....until I start sewing and then I wonder if other people will say to themselves, "those don't go together".

How often do you say "not everyone is going to like this"? On a scale from 1 to 10, how high do you put your choices?
Of course I know that there are no quilting police, but I was just wondering.

Jeanne S 12-17-2014 09:46 AM

I am pretty confident in my sense of color and selecting fabrics. But much LESS confident in my ability to piece and quilt it!!!

ManiacQuilter2 12-17-2014 10:05 AM

Sometimes I doubt my color sense even when other quilter's say my color selection is excellent. I keep fabric up on the design wall reviewing it over and over again until I am sure the fabric will work.

quiltingcandy 12-17-2014 10:19 AM

I know I need help with color. But sometimes that has to do with the lighting. It would always upset me home and find the fabric looked totally different to me. So I try and take my daughter to help pick out fabric.

PatPitter 12-17-2014 10:21 AM

I'm very confident in my color sense. I don't think I've ever had a quilt that I later thought was the wrong color choices.

cjtinkle 12-17-2014 10:25 AM

I never doubt my color choices. However, that doesn't mean everyone else will like them, we all have different tastes.

Tothill 12-17-2014 10:35 AM

I do best when I pull colours from a print, photo or other palette.

I love pinterest for finding different colour combinations.

My son wants a red, black and white quilt. That is easy, I have been collecting prints for a year now. My challenge is deciding on the pattern and cutting up the fabric.

Back in the 1980's I made a Quilt in a Day Trip Around the World quilt. It was peach and green (very 80's colours), one of the greens is too dark. It has bugged me ever since, but not enough to take it apart and change it out, especially 30 years later.

I love primary colours for flannel and denim rag quilts. I do not worry about the colours for them.

quiltstringz 12-17-2014 10:37 AM

I normally feel comfortable with my color choices. The only time I have second guessed is in a Mystery quilt, then although I like my colors if I had been aware of the pattern may have used them differently. Usually if you lay all of your colors down and you are happy with them you will be happy with your quilt

SandyinZ4 12-17-2014 10:39 AM

I don't think I have much color sense. I love scrappy and when I do something that isn't scrappy, I have a difficult time finding 'coordinating' fabrics. Just not my thing. Plus, I mostly do not care what anyone thinks. I just have fun and that is my main goal in quilting...to make it an enjoyable hobby and not one to please others. If my projects come out great and others like them, it is a double bonus! :-)

Basketman 12-17-2014 11:04 AM

Like others, I am quite confident of my color choices but when in doubt I take a digital photograph of what I am doing. A digital image frequently allows me to step back and objectively look at my hesitancy and see the totality of the project and that allows me to either approve my color choice or move to another fabric.