Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how do you separate stash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-separate-stash-t129874.html)

bearisgray 06-12-2011 08:57 AM

There are always a few that could go in one or more places.

Examples: the black and white cat prints - do I put them with the cat prints or with the black and white prints?

The multi-colored ones that don't have a dominant color - do they go with the "theme" - such as florals or geometrics? or in the "miscellaneious" stack?

The holiday themed cat prints - do I put them with the Holiday - or with the Cat Prints?

etc etc

Those are the decisions that kind of slow me down.

Now - when there gets to be ENOUGH of whatever to have its very own tote - - -

sisLH 06-12-2011 11:27 AM

Thanks for all the ideas. It sounds like many of us have the same dilemna. I can tell I don't nearly have the same amt of space as some have! I like the idea of CD racks for fat gtrs.

emsgranny 06-12-2011 11:53 AM

I put flannels together - If I have matching fabrics I put them together then seperate by colors and theme. Hope this helps - Its really what works for you - nWhen you purchase fabric you have to know where to find it - what works for one may not work for another!!!

traumaRN 06-12-2011 12:08 PM

I bought some of the easy core boards from M.I. Late and now have most everything neatly stored. I tend to buy my fabric in "collections"; i.e., I buy coordinates of the same group so I have them stored together. Patterns not part of a group are stored according to color. Everything is on shelves and in the open though so I can see it all at a glance.

the casual quilter 06-12-2011 03:16 PM

Like you, I keep all my flannels together. I keep what few garment fabrics I have separate also. For my regular quilt fabric, I don't pay too much attention to color. I separate by value. Since any fabric can be either a light, medium or dark depending on what fabric is adjacent to it, this helps me select what works best.

Krystyna 06-13-2011 03:18 AM

I have mine separated in a couple of different ways. First, there are bins by color on my shelves and a couple with special fabrics for art quilts. Then I have a plastic 3 drawer bin under my desk for two projects I'm working on.

mar32428 06-13-2011 03:23 AM

You're supposed to sort your fabrics?

Dave-Jane 06-13-2011 03:51 AM

My basic stash is by color.
but I have these items separate
Multi color florals
Flannels
Batiks
Thimbleberries
Fat Quarters
Patriotic stash for QOV

pieces 06-13-2011 03:51 AM

I separate mine by color, so if I'm looking for a green print I can pull this bin out and have everything green all together. A separate bin for childrens fabrics, and a separate bin for solids. Sort whichever way works for you. Think about pulling fabric for a quilt and what would make this easiest. :D

Just Me... 06-13-2011 03:56 AM

I separate by color. If I have a collection of multiple colors that would be used together in one quilt, I make myself a "kit" with those fabrics AND a pattern. I don't let myself make the "kit" without the pattern....just gives me more self-discipline.