Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you set your borders??! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-set-your-borders-t12315.html)

Skeat 10-17-2008 05:10 AM

Some say put your sides on first, then the top and bottom...or top and bottom first then the sides...what is a confused quilter to do and why??? Why does it matter??I keep thinking if you pull the quilt to your chin while it is covering you, which way would be less stressfull? Or does that have anything to do w/it at all??Please tell! Skeat

*This would be quilt of blocks..then a solid (lets say) 6" border all the way around...if it even matters:))

Katrine 10-17-2008 05:13 AM

I put sides on first, then top & bottom. It seems to me to look better that way.

jstitch 10-17-2008 05:18 AM

This, like all quilting things, is a personal choice.. No right or wrong way to do it.

Putting the sides on first tends to make the quilt look more proportioned as the seam at the top and bottom break up the long lines of the sides.

However, there is another consideration.. if you are cutting your borders from a single lenght of fabric, rather than piecing from cuts across the width of the fabric, You will need more yardage if you put the sides on last as you will need the full length of the quilt.. Where as if you put the sides on first, you dont need the extra of the top and bottom borders included.

Moonpi 10-17-2008 05:19 AM

I do sides first, too. No particular reason, but I got into the habit when I used to do breadboard ends a lot. I like that look.

Butterflyspain 10-17-2008 05:20 AM

Yes, I am with Katrine on that too. I put sides on first, just seems logical to me. Actually canīt see it matters which way you do it.

Have been told by those in high places that you put your border on after it is quilted.

Elle

jstitch 10-17-2008 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Yes, I am with Katrine on that too. I put sides on first, just seems logical to me. Actually canīt see it matters which way you do it.

Have been told by those in high places that you put your border on after it is quilted.

Elle

Hmmm Elle, I have never heard that one.. How high?...lol

sandpat 10-17-2008 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain

Elle

Then how do you quilt the border when you do the rest of the quilt?? Are they "high" ON something??? :lol: :lol:

I put the sides on first, not that I guess it matters...

Quilt4u 10-17-2008 05:37 AM

I put my sides on first save on fabric. I ue to do my top and botoms first. But I had to add on to the sides.

Maride 10-17-2008 05:46 AM

There is one more option... I usually tend to mitter my borders.

Maria

The borders can be added after the main quilt is quilted if you leave enough batting and backing to go under it, and you plan to do a different quilting pattern to your border. I don't do that. Can you imagine trying to mitter a border with the bulk of an already quilted quilt?

nor'easter 10-17-2008 05:48 AM

Sides first, top and bottom last. Looks more balanced to me (even though most of my quilts are square! :roll: ) Kind of like columns between the roof and the floor... :oops: