Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you sew appliques? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-sew-appliques-t291991.html)

applique 10-20-2017 07:06 PM

Used to do hand applique with the ladder stitch. Now machine applique with the satin stitch.

AlvaStitcher 10-21-2017 05:10 AM

I do needle turn and, if I use a fusible, then I do a hand blanket stitch around the pieces. I find hand stitching the blanket stitch to be very relaxing.

jmoore 10-21-2017 06:09 AM

I just recently tackled my first turned edge machine appliqué for my DIL’s baby shower quilt. I mean like I just finished sewing the binding to the back yesterday and the shower is tomorrow... I used a blanket stitch on my machine. I practiced with he settings a number of times before I came up with something I liked for the elephants.

I think it turned out nicely and have overcome my fear of appliqué. LOL I would post a photo but have not yet figured out how to do it from my Ipad. : /

klswift 10-21-2017 07:11 AM

I know this sounds like a cop-out, but, it depends what you are appliqueing. If I am doing something for a child (hard use), I like to use the fusible on the whole applique and sew around the item, turn rightside out, iron on and then do a zigzag or other sturdy stitch around the applique. This will hold up to all forms of dragging around and laundering. For most appliques I will use the narrower bit of interfacing (fusible or not) and turn the edge and then stitch down. I may use a blanket stitch or a decorative stitch. I prefer this to a turned edge because I can never get it to be even. This is the same reason I rarely handstitch my appliques. I truly admire and respect those who handstitch, I have never mastered the skill. If it is a quick item or something as simple as a tote, I will simply fuse the applique and stitch around the edges (I often use this on holiday table runners because they do not get overused).

carolynjo 10-21-2017 07:20 AM

If you like hand applique, then let me recommend Pat Campbell's books. She is the doyenne of applique. You may find some of her books on Amazon or EBay.

Dodie 10-21-2017 07:23 AM

If you want to machine applique that looks like hand applique I took a class from Harriet Hargrave in the "90's from a book by the same name Hand Applique by machine I made a queen size drunkards path this way and looks pieced I it sure you still may be able to find her book on eBay or Amazon it is in 2 parts one side of the book is something on machine quilting flip it over and is hand applique it is well worth having in your quilting library

Monika 10-21-2017 08:33 AM

I agree with others that it depends on the style and the ultimate use. But I do want to say that "acceptable" is what works for you, your design and your quilt. No quilt police! :)

d.rickman 10-21-2017 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by jmoore (Post 7928686)
I just recently tackled my first turned edge machine appliqué for my DIL’s baby shower quilt. I mean like I just finished sewing the binding to the back yesterday and the shower is tomorrow... I used a blanket stitch on my machine. I practiced with he settings a number of times before I came up with something I liked for the elephants.

I think it turned out nicely and have overcome my fear of appliqué. LOL I would post a photo but have not yet figured out how to do it from my Ipad. : /

JMoore - I just sent you a PM with information from YouTube on how to get pictures from your iPad onto your computer.

mojo11 10-21-2017 10:29 AM

I do hand needle turn applique.

Sync 10-21-2017 11:23 AM

I do applique by hand. I usually do needle turn with an applique stitch. If I'm working on a piece that has many pieces or a lot of tiny pieces I will prepare the pieces using a washable fusible or freezer paper.