Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you sort and store your scraps (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-sort-store-your-scraps-t121444.html)

thrums 05-07-2011 07:14 AM

Now that it's spring the guilt is gone for the tiny strips I usually throw away. Now I put them out for the birds to make nests.

I have been trying to think of a logical way to sort and store my leftover fabric pieces after cutting. I tried a craftbox, but it was too limiting.

With 2 inches being my smallest width, I find that I have various shapes and lengths of scraps. How do you store your scraps?

Murphy 05-07-2011 07:15 AM

By size

k3n 05-07-2011 07:19 AM

I store mine by colour in plastic tubs on the shelves under my cutting table- charm squares or smaller (down to an inch I save!) in small tubs and FQ size in larger tubs. I work by colour so this is how I sort - if you work by size, pattern, etc then that makes more sense. PLus it depends how many scraps you have.

luvTooQuilt 05-07-2011 07:23 AM

Bolts are on the bookcase and in walk in closet(3+ yards)
1-2 yards are folded, separated by color on bookcases

These are in tubs no matter what size they are:
Holiday- each have own tub
Flannel
Vintage fabric- all
Authentic 30's feedsacks

Batiks are in a sterilite three drawer unit
Fqs are separated by color, floral, novelty in it's own sections on wall cd racks, closet maid shoe organizers

My scraps are in specific see- thru bins, tubs and drawers:
Each Accuquilt shapes have a sterilite drawer all of its own
strips less than10 inches but longer than 5 inches of has a a sterilite drawer all of its own
Strips longer than 10 inches but less than WOF has a sterilite drawer all of its own
2 inch strips are hanging on the back of the door
1.5 x wof has a sterilite drawer all of its own
2.5 x WOF strips has a a sterilite drawer all of its own
3x WOF strips have a sterilite drawer all of its own
5x WOF strips have a sterilite drawer all of its own
all other strips x WOF are separated by colors and has a sterilite drawer all of its own
Crumbs have a sterilite drawer all of its own
Scraps less than a fq but larger than 6x6 has a sterilite drawer all of its own- these are waiting to be cut with my Accuquilt
2 in sq have a sterilite drawer all of its own
3 in sq have a sterilite drawer all of its own
4 in sq have a sterilite drawer all of its own
5 in sq have a sterilite drawer all of its own

And that's how my room is organized..

I followed Bonnies method.. www.quiltville.com.

oksewglad 05-07-2011 07:24 AM

Like Murphy I store by size. There are many containers to store the scraps. Since I make mini's from scraps, my containers are small.
Think of all the plastic containers you through out. For me it chocolate milk mix and flavored coffee containers. If I want to sort small projects by color, too, these work great. For others it may be coffee "cans", salad boxes. I purchase plastic shoe boxes (watch for sales). These work great for the larger (1.5" and above squares and strings and stack neatly.
Remember to label the container! I find using a blank sheet of address labels and a sharpie marker works fine. Happy sorting!

Melinda in Tulsa 05-07-2011 08:11 AM

I have a large cardboard box under the cutting table. Let over fabric is all dumped in there! No sorting, just dig!

frugalfabrics 05-07-2011 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
I have a large cardboard box under the cutting table. Let over fabric is all dumped in there! No sorting, just dig!

LOL...me too. I have a bag hanging on a handle and it get's stuffed until it's full of scraps and then I dump them in my box.

No sorting...just a big mess...very colorful!

trif 05-07-2011 08:18 AM

I have one medium size container of various scraps, two bags of scraps from two projects that are enough scraps to generate two new quilts. I usually keep my scraps and crumbs in a large ziplock until I have enough to send to someone.

KarenK 05-07-2011 08:21 AM

I predominantly work and store by color. Fabric is sorted by color and stored in cubes in a closet. In one cube, for example, all sizes of reds and pinks, from a fat eighth to yardage, go in a stack at the bottom. If it is smaller than a fat eighth, it goes in a small basket on top of the stack.

Fabrics that are hand dyed, hand painted, 30's, batiks or Asian are stacked separately on a shelf.

Annaquilts 05-07-2011 08:37 AM

A medium plastic tub that we take pieces out for quilts and also cut pieces, 1 1/2x3 1/2 for paper piecing onto addign machine paper. There is a tute on this website for that. We call it making new fabric. the only thing we do different is sew fabric on by color.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-56940-1.htm