Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you stay focused? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-stay-focused-t84021.html)

davidwent 12-21-2010 05:53 AM

Put your laptop in the freezer! LOL
David

singalong 12-21-2010 06:04 AM

WOW! I thought it was only me! It seems that when I start something I am obsessive about it for a few days, then POW loose interest. If I make a mistake, that's it.. finished with project. I wander around the house and get nothing done. Like you.. computer, phone, etc. I know that I have SAD and this becomes my excuse. Also I have many projects started and once I go onto another I totally loose interest in the one before. I have a new machine and all the notions you can think of. But...no motivation to get anything finished. Part of my problem is that there is no one who I can give a finished project to that would appreciate the time, money and effort that went into it. My family could care less. . I am pretty new at this and not to good at it, although I have at least 4 things I am proud of. . I will look at all the suggestions and try some. LOL

Maurene 12-21-2010 06:19 AM

It's just so tempting to drop the problem solving and start something else! Sticking with a problem until it's solved is the only way I can keep myself from being distracted by a feather blowing by! And sometimes the answer doesn't come immediately. I guess the best thing is to not get yourself in too deep with so many things to finish everything becomes impossible. Takes a lot of impulse and self control.

Sloan Quinn 12-21-2010 06:25 AM

I use a spiral of graph paper for a quilting book and put everything in it - pictures of blocks, layouts for quilts, notes for cutting and yardage, etc.

Right now, I believe I have three or four projects in there that are either in progress or on the chalkboard for after X project is done.

Right now, I'm looking forward to going back to a baby quilt I was working on before I got caught up in Christmas prezzies. Once that's done, I'm looking forward to doing a wedding quilt. After that, it's back to my quilted pillows...and the list goes on. If you tell yourself, "This project is shelved until I finish this other one," you're more motivated to finish the one so you can get to the other. Does that make sense?

There is something to be said for over-creating, lol.

happymrs 12-21-2010 06:56 AM

I can stay in my studio forever, once i get in there, lol. Out here, too many distractions, like you mentioned. I can keep quilting till my back starts bothering me too much, or I am starving to death, lol, or my pups need a break. Otherwise, I do pretty good in there. Wish I could stay focused when trying to clean, but it just doesn't hold my interest, so I am easily distracted in that dept., & my house shows it, lol... What can I say, my heart, & mind, belong to quilting!...

Blinker 12-21-2010 07:37 AM

A deadline (real or imagined) - even if I set it myself - helps. Like "I should finish that blue quilt before Christmas." Then after it's done, move on to another. Pack away other projects until you get one or two done, then move on to some UFO's or new projects. Works for me.

Mariah 12-21-2010 08:05 AM

Make a list of what you want to accomplish; your goals. Then just make yourself stay on track. I am the same way, and this has helped me.
Merry Christmas!
Mariah.

doubblec 12-21-2010 08:48 AM

Really the only way I can stay focused is to take a class or sew with my friend on a project.

Nanjun 12-21-2010 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
I have the opposite problem. I start sewing and can't quit. Hence the couple of all-nighters I did last week. I do periodically wander out of my sewing room & come check for new posts here. I guess that counts as taking a break?

I take my breaks here at the computer also.I call it resting,lol

winia 12-21-2010 09:42 AM

The keyword is progress. If you make progress forward
on a project everyday, I think that's great. I know for
myself if I get too obsessed with something and don't
want to stop and do something else, I start getting sloppy, and you can't get sloppy in quilting. The project won't
turn out properly. Doing two or three blocks a day is
fine with me. Don't see anything wrong with it.

Two years from now when the quilt is done, do you think it's going to matter how long it took you to get there? You'll already be on to other projects and will have forgotten how long it took to do.

Keep up the good work.