Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you store/keep your board when not in use (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-store-keep-your-board-when-not-use-t182122.html)

Jan in VA 03-10-2012 09:16 AM

Two pieces of office store foam core board cut about 2-3" larger than the mat.
Duct tape 3 sides together to make a pocket. Slide your mat in and store against a wall.

I learned this trick in TX where the summers are so hot that mats would warp even lying flat in the car trunk when going to and from classes, shows, etc.

I also slip my rulers down in there to carry them on the move.

A benefit is that when draped or covered by a piece of flannel or batting, the board can act as a sort of design wall at a class.

Jan in VA

JUNEC 03-10-2012 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by cmw0829 (Post 5043493)
I have a huge one that is stored behind a chest of drawers. But my 12 x 18 and my 24 x 30ish hang in my closet. I use those plastic hangers that have two clips on them - the kind shorts would hang on at Walmart. I haven't had any warping problems at all.

I wonder if there's something else in your environment that is causing the warping. Is the hanger touching only the middle of the mat? I can see this allowing the corners of the mat to turn down. The hanger I use has two clips - for my large mat, I hang it portrait style and the clips are at about 1/3 of the mat's width from each end.

That's a great idea - never thought of using those hangers that wait - thanks for the tip

JUNEC 03-10-2012 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5047341)
Two pieces of office store foam core board cut about 2-3" larger than the mat.
Duct tape 3 sides together to make a pocket. Slide your mat in and store against a wall.

I learned this trick in TX where the summers are so hot that mats would warp even lying flat in the car trunk when going to and from classes, shows, etc.

I also slip my rulers down in there to carry them on the move.

A benefit is that when draped or covered by a piece of flannel or batting, the board can act as a sort of design wall at a class.

Jan in VA

That is another great suggestion - I know that the Dollar Store carries foam core board- the size of oak tag

I have a large cutting board that I purchased a couple of years ago -made the mistake of storing it behind my dresser - when I went to use it - it was a little warped - I had to lay it flat on the floor & weigh it down- works fine now - but I think I will be making a trip to the store to get some foam core board - foam core is a lot cheaper to buy then a new board - and there is no room under any of my beds for the board to be stored flat.

thimblebug6000 03-10-2012 05:22 PM

Thanks to everyone for your innovative storage suggestions.... Guess I'll just plop mine back on my sewing desk to "store" and then plop it back on the guest bed when I need to quilt!... Space is just such a huge factor when we ask for suggestions, isn't it..... thank you to all!

deemail 03-10-2012 05:37 PM

I made a large flat tote bag to fit my largest mat.... slipped in a pc of cardboard to stiffen, put lots of pockets and ribbon ties on the front.... mats go inside, rulers have half pocket on outside and then small notions fit in smaller pockets.... the ribbon ties are to tie thru the handles of my scissors while the tips go inside pocket so they can't slip out if tipped.... this whole tote hangs on the wall of my sewing room, behind my cutting table till time to go to class...then it goes with me and the machine....

CRELLA 03-10-2012 06:30 PM

Under a bed they stay nice an flat