Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you store your notions and thread? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-store-your-notions-thread-t177737.html)

harryb1834 02-01-2012 04:22 AM

How do you store your notions and thread?

1 Attachment(s)
It's been ages since I posted a question on the board, but I need the experts advice. Recently, I made a little caddy for a couple spools of thread, thimbles, scissors, seam ripper, marking pencil, bees wax and pins and needles. I am thinking of making a line of (wooden)storage containers for quilting supplies, due to the success of this little caddy. I know there is a lot of plastic containers out there on the market but I thought a nice wooden unit may have an appeal. I am thinking of little carrying cases with a handle, a few draws, a lid for the top... and well... I guess I am still thinking about what would work best.

I was wondering what you use or if you have any advice or ideas?

Here is a picture of my first caddy. It has a magnet on the back that you can't see in the picture to hold pins and needles. Velcro holds a small bees wax container on one side and the other side has a couple thimble holders.

Thanks,
Harry B.

GEMRM 02-01-2012 04:26 AM

looks like it would be great to keep supplies organized table side when hand sewing and very nicely finished too!

gollytwo 02-01-2012 04:33 AM

I really like your caddy. I think a drawer deep enough to hold a small box of pins would enhance it.

nhweaver 02-01-2012 04:42 AM

Or a pin cushion.

Originally Posted by GEMRM (Post 4931345)
looks like it would be great to keep supplies organized table side when hand sewing and very nicely finished too!

quiltinghere 02-01-2012 04:44 AM

I store like with like in the biggest (yet smallest) box that will hold them. I think my threads are in 4 shoe boxes by color family. Safety pins are in clear jars and straight pins are in another clear jar.

I think it's trial and error and continually changing because our notions continue to grow.

Jackie Spencer 02-01-2012 05:04 AM

Love your little caddy. So cute!

ontheriver 02-01-2012 05:12 AM

I have a wooden cabinet my BF make me. It sets on the floor and is attached to the wall so it does not tip over on me. Inside the back wall is pegboard, I put metal hooks and put my thread on the hooks. It is about 5 ft tall, 3 ft wide, 8 in deep and holds about 200 spools of thread, sissors, etc. I have hooks on the inside of the door where I hang my rulers. I love your little caddy. I was just thinking the other day about asking him to make me something like it that can set on my cutting table to hold rotary cutters and stuff. I like the wooden things since I live in a log home because they match my house better than plastic.

ksdot417 02-01-2012 06:48 AM

I really like the caddy. I think something like it would be very handy.

vondae 02-01-2012 08:27 AM

Looks really handy. I'd sure use it.

jaciqltznok 02-01-2012 08:45 AM

there used to be a caddy just like this on the open market! There are still a few things out there, but they are harder to find since everyone started making their own things to fit their needs!