Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you store your stash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-store-your-stash-t55153.html)

mygirl66 07-19-2010 03:27 AM

My sewing room looks like Joanies, only its not in a closet, the shelves line 2 whole walls, with additional clear bins & fabric lined boxes with patterns, misc. in them. Have fun re doing your studio!

quiltinghere 07-19-2010 03:31 AM

Mine are in totes that are not too deep and it's been working ok.

I am in the 'thinking' part of rearranging my sewing area and I'm gathering ideas.

mrsdralshhadeh 07-19-2010 03:43 AM

I do not have a mountain of stash yet,,lol... but I have mine in the clear tubs, seperated by prints and then solids, my FQ are folded and put into a filing drawer,, hope this helps,,

judylg 07-19-2010 03:46 AM

I have 6 large totes that I store in my laundry room, the drawback is that they are in two rows, so it is heavy lifting. I feel better reading this, though, I thought I had too much, but I am looking more normal by the minute. And I feel good about that.

RevPam 07-19-2010 04:02 AM

In my parsonage (my family still lives at home, so this is my domain for a good portion of the week)the dining room has floor to ceiling built-in china cupboards. Alas, these are full of fabric sorted by color group. Two of the drawers are full of fat quarters. I have seven totes of folded fabric (remember, I am the 'Remnant Queen') I have a large round folding table set up on gallon paint cans for cutting surface. In the closet there is 6 large shopping bags full of scraps (for our baby/child quilt ministry). Who needs a dining room anyway??

judylg 07-19-2010 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by RevPam
In my parsonage (my family still lives at home, so this is my domain for a good portion of the week)the dining room has floor to ceiling built-in china cupboards. Alas, these are full of fabric sorted by color group. Two of the drawers are full of fat quarters. I have seven totes of folded fabric (remember, I am the 'Remnant Queen') I have a large round folding table set up on gallon paint cans for cutting surface. In the closet there is 6 large shopping bags full of scraps (for our baby/child quilt ministry). Who needs a dining room anyway??

Look at it this way, at least you are using good space, a dining room..what could be better...very few people I know actually use their formal dining rooms, except maybe at Christmas. The rest of the time they sit there looking formal and untouchable.

Joanie2 07-19-2010 08:28 AM

The good thing about using a walk-in closet is that the sun does not get in and neither do my cats. I can see at a glance most of my yardage and all of my boxes are labeled.
I used to have 2 dressers in there to hold the fabrics.
And I did have to downsize a bit when we put it together.
It was difficult at first but in the end I passed on stuff that I was either no longer interested in or was not going to finish anyway.

msariano 07-19-2010 10:50 AM

I have a bureau--one drawer is all yellows, another for blues, one is all batiks, the other is hand-dyed fabrics and the bottom is for all the stabilizers. Then I have a bookcase with all shelves full of fabric sorted by color. I also have big tubs where I have my collection of fabrics with gold threads, then on my cutting table, on shelves made with glass bricks, I have see thru shoe boxes with the smaller (1/2yds.) pieces. I won't say what all is in the garage, but there are two plastic Iris carts. . .

tadpoles_62 07-19-2010 04:35 PM

i am the same way ,i can have it all organized and then i start a project and it blow up , :?

annette1952 07-19-2010 04:40 PM

I store mine in plastic totes on shelves. Also some on bolts that I stand up on shelves