Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you transport your machine when you travel? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-transport-your-machine-when-you-travel-t117383.html)

luvTooQuilt 04-19-2011 04:24 PM

Mine is just a sewing machine rolling bag.. Was a gift.. I like it but i dont trust 'potholes' or sidewalk cracks.. Don't think its protected enough, so Ill carry it over the 'bumpy' areas..

mic-pa 04-19-2011 04:32 PM

I went to Joann's an bought a case on wheels when they had a special, I think I paid $35.00 for it. I love it. Has all kinds of pockets etc for your extras. I also put my project in with the machine so the fabric gives it extra padding. My machine is a Janome 3500 so a little bigger than their smallest model but not as big as my Emb. machine.

quilter1943 04-19-2011 04:45 PM

My Pfaff came with a case that I buckle into a seat belt in the back seat. I think if you went to some luggage outlets (not sure where you're hiding) that you could find something. Just be sure it's secured in your vehicle in case you brake quickly, it won't go flying.

patchsamkim 04-19-2011 05:08 PM

I have a sewing machine case on wheels...it is plain black...no frills, but it works great, holds both my Bernina 1230 and my Brother...and it has several pockets on the outside to hold extra supplies...I have had it for many years...probably payed about $60.00 for it.

lheartsl 04-19-2011 05:10 PM

I have a case on wheels. I think from joins

purmela 04-19-2011 05:47 PM

I live in the hot desert-- must not leave FW or any thing else in the turned off car. Use case that came with it and put it in an ice chest on wheels with some cooler packs wrapped in towels. Seriously it can get over 160+ in the direct sun here.

Wine Woman 04-19-2011 06:05 PM

I too used to take my Bernina 440 QE with me to classes and weekends away. I was really nervous transporting it though. But when I did transport it I used the padded case it came with and bought a small luggage cart with wheels. It fit perfect and I just strapped it on and off I went.

Then I got hooked on FW's and now everywhere I go when it comes to sewing- it comes with me. I bought a rolling cart from Joann's and I really like it. I found I packed it too much and it was heavy getting it from the car. Then I was in trouble when it came to the stairs! Then I found a perfect bag at Cabella's that fits exactly what I need. It has lots of pockets and just enough space around my machine to put my project.

lclang 04-19-2011 07:47 PM

I have a Featherweight that I transport in a 12 can cooler bag, nicely oadded/insulated with expansion area on top and net pockets on three sides (on the outside). Purchased at Walmart fot under $14.00. If I decide that I need to take my pfaff, I have a hard cover for it and then strap it to a two wheeled luggage cart. These are also available to Walmart in the luggage department. Have not had any problems with either way to transport.

pjemark 04-19-2011 08:05 PM

My Bernina came with a heavily padded rolling carrying case. It is bulky and awkward and heavy but I use it bacause I think it protects the machine. So, I dropped my machine off to have it's yearly cleaning and they took it out of the case and sent the case back home with me. What a pain in the rear. So now I'm packing the darn case around in my work van because the sewing shop is 30 miles away and I want to have the case with me to pick it up immediatly when they call. (yea, I'm having withdrawals)

Elisabeth J 04-20-2011 03:05 AM

I know this sounds crazy but I bought an ice chest. the wheels are large, it can handle the weight it is hard sided and light weight. Plus when I show up everyone thinks I brought refreshments!! LOL