Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you use an octagon template? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-use-octagon-template-t158425.html)

susieqgc1 10-06-2011 09:59 AM

I just bought a pattern and it has an octagon template to use in fussy cutting. I'm afraid I may have bit off more than I can chew. Do you just put the template down and cut around it? There must be a way so it doesn't slip and slide on you. I just knew all of you would have some suggestions. I'm fairly new at this and to tell you the truth I have my husband cut my material because the darn ruler always slips on me. I start out fine but by the time I'm finished the ruler always slips at the end. Hopefully, you ladies and gentlemen will have some answers for me. Thank you all so much.

mim 10-06-2011 10:19 AM

I assume you are doing a fussy cut I spy quilt -- when I need to get the picture just right, I draw lines around the template and then cut. Or glue a small piece of fine sandpaper on the bottom to keep it from slipping. Some stores have "dots" to stick on rulers.
Mim

Originally Posted by susieqgc1
I just bought a pattern and it has an octagon template to use in fussy cutting. I'm afraid I may have bit off more than I can chew. Do you just put the template down and cut around it? There must be a way so it doesn't slip and slide on you. I just knew all of you would have some suggestions. I'm fairly new at this and to tell you the truth I have my husband cut my material because the darn ruler always slips on me. I start out fine but by the time I'm finished the ruler always slips at the end. Hopefully, you ladies and gentlemen will have some answers for me. Thank you all so much.

athomenow 10-06-2011 10:29 AM

I just bought some of those dots for a couple of my longer rulers. The only problem is you have to pick it up to reposition. Can't just slide it along but I will have to say it does help.

Rose L 10-06-2011 11:35 AM

The dots only work for a short while in my experience. I use a swipe of rubber cement on the backs of all my rulers and plastic templates, let dry overnight and then you can cut till your heart is content without slippage. Good Luck!

They make small cutting boards on a small turntable so you can spin as you cut and won't have to keep walking around the cutting table to get the best cutting angle.

Hex rulers can be used for lots of quilts but probably the most popular is the Grandmothers Flower Garden and other similar settings.

mymsmess 10-06-2011 02:40 PM

Try invisagrip on your templates and rulers. Works wonders and does Not slide. I just bought a role at Joanns for around $8.00. The size of the role is 12 x 36.

ckcowl 10-06-2011 02:52 PM

you can lay the template down on the fabric where you want it- draw around it with a pencil- or chalk--then cut it out either with your regular ruler & rotory cutter- or with scissors.