Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you wash your fat quarters? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-wash-your-fat-quarters-t215996.html)

ube quilting 03-10-2013 04:20 PM

I just finished washing twelve FQs. Not enough to fill a wash load. filled a bucket with hot water and just a bit of detergent. (I don't do anything to the FQs.)

Swished them around for a minute and drained the water and refilled a couple of times to rinse the soap.

I throw the water into the garden, not down the drain. That would be a waste. Every bit of water that can go back to ground, should.

Squeezed out most of the water and tossed into the dryer untill damp dry. I would usually hang them outside but was in a hurry to use the fabric.

When damp dry I spray them with home made starch and press them dry for immediate use.
peace

Silver Needle 03-10-2013 05:14 PM

I use this same process for jelly rolls. Put in sink with straight Hot water and 1 - 2 tsp of Retayne. Like colors together. Gently swish with wooden spoon. Let sit 20 minutes. Rinse until water is clear. Place in salad spinner and twirl until most of the excess water is spun out. Hang on clothes drying rack to dry. When nearly dry press. I find using the straight hot water gets the shrinking accomplished without resorting to clothes dryer.

suedonnie 03-10-2013 05:37 PM

I have handwash cycle and never used it...Now I have to try it out for the fat quarters. Do you do the same
for larger pcs. of fabric

wanda lou 03-10-2013 07:25 PM

I wash, dry and iron them all.
except Jelly rolls.

NOELLA 03-11-2013 04:37 AM

depending on the # of fg's I put the in a laundry bag, the mesh one, or if at lot I just throw them in the washer.
Dosn't seem to ravel too much, ,take them out while the are still hot and place over a clothes rack.
Good luck.

mighty 03-11-2013 07:19 AM

Great ideas thank you!!!!!

QuiltNama 03-11-2013 02:03 PM

I throw them in the sink with hot water and dish soap. Swish them around, rinse, throw into the salad spinner and iron dry. If too many for a sink wash, laundry bag and dryer.

franc36 03-11-2013 02:20 PM

I no longer pre wash my fat quarters; but when I did wash them, I serged both cut edges. You could zig zag the raw edges or cut them with pinking shears. Merivale's suggestions would work and would be faster.

my-ty 03-11-2013 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter (Post 5919017)
I toss mine in the sink to rinse through. If they run, I hand-wash until they have run their course.

Then I wring them out and smooth them on a large towel which I roll up and squeeze any excess water into the towel. I either hang-dry or iron-dry the rest. It may sound like a lot of work but it doesn't seem so to me.

I do this too.

catmcclure 03-12-2013 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Kwiltr (Post 5918951)
What about throwing them in a lingerie wash bag? Would that help? I haven't used fat quarters yet, but I think I might try that!

That's what I use to wash FQs. You can put six or more in the lingerie bag and there's minimal stringing.