Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How does Connecting Thread sell so inexpensively? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-does-connecting-thread-sell-so-inexpensively-t183548.html)

Rose Marie 03-26-2012 05:43 AM

I buy most of my fabric on line and on sale from Hancocks of Paducah, Quilt In A Day, Connectiing Threads, and a few others. After over five years of quilting I finally feel that Im good enough to use more expensive fabrics and harder patterns. As a beginner I just would not spend the money for expensive fabrics.
I will still buy sales on line but will go to the local quilt shop for more expensive lines of fabric for special patterns.
It just depends on what I am making and for who.

cij1916 04-09-2012 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by beckalou (Post 5083532)
I am shocked at the absence of quilt shops in the area. I live minutes from Mobile, AL. The only quilt shop that I am aware of in the area is 1 hour to the east in Pensacola. So shopping online is much smarter for me because of gasoline prices, but I soooo miss going to a quilt shop to see, feel, experience the fabric, tools, patterns & notions.

Go to Ocean Springs, MS...they have Janet's Quilting Bee...that's where I went prior to moving to FL. It's a lot closer to Mobile than P'Cola is.

karenpatrick 04-09-2012 09:15 AM

I am waiting on my first order from them. Should be here on Wed. I glad you like their fabric as I ordered about 50 yrds of 29 different fabric. They had some on sale for $2.48 yrd. Couldn't pass that up. If it isn't really good quality, I'll use it for quilts for the nursing homes in my area that I make.

BellaBoo 04-09-2012 10:22 AM

I just got an order of several of the new line samplers from CT. They have a nice feel and drape. Their designer fabric seem to me a better quality feel then the blender fabric. I like all of their fabrics though. It's my fabric of choice for backings. If it's on clearance for under $3 I buy a lot of it. I have my favorite fabric brands like Northcott, Kauffman, Marcus Bros etc and buy those fabrics when I find them on sale. I rarely buy fabric from a LQS but I do buy notions, threads, tools, and patterns from them.

quiltstringz 04-09-2012 12:28 PM

I know that when I put the fabrics that the LQS sells (Benartex, Moda, RJR, Hoffman, etc) up against the fabric from CT - CT fabric is one of my last choices. I see a definite difference in the quality, colors, design, etc. I have a friend who has an internet business and I know that her wholesale price is above what CT is selling fabric for. Additionally for large pieces (backs, borders) I hit my LQS yearly sale, granted a lot of the frabrics are in large yardage 5+ yds, but if I want to use it for a back it might be just enough. If the piece is larger and I like it I can use it for the back, borders and binding. We also go in a group so if several of us like it we can split it when we get home.

karenpatrick 04-09-2012 04:16 PM

Those of you who have LQSs to shop at should consider yourselves very lucky. We have none in our area closer than 50+ miles. I will sometimes buy from a shop in Shipshewana, IN whenever I visit my son and family in northern Indiana. Otherwise I have to buy online or at Joann's or Hobby Lobby.